Insufficient quota error

dalewj

Sorry i have done a faq and search of the forum and i cant find the answer, so i ask :)

I get the following error on a download that 60% complete.

Error: Insufficient quota to complete the requested service

A forced start gives the same error, i am on a T1, so i have no quotas of my own and other downloads are happy. Ideas? is it the person on the other side hitting a quota?

thanks!

Well... I've never seen that error in BitTorrent, but I have used VMWare a lot, and that error comes up when you run into a user filespace quota on a virtual file system. I can't imagine why it would come up in BitTorrent, unless you have uTorrent running in VMWare.

Googling gives me nothing but VMWare error messages, so I'm at a loss.

Wow. My only thought would be that if this is a private tracker where you need to maintain a certain ratio of Uploaded data to Downloaded data, and you aren't meeting that quota. I can't imagine that being a built in uTorrent error though.

I'm not sure. I hope someone else does, though.

Exactly. I could understand something like that being logged, but I did a hex search of all the dialog text in uTorrent (best I could do without the source), and found no reference to that. I've never heard of that outside of VMWare, and it's really, really weird because thats the exact syntax and wording of that VMWare error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155012

1453L ERROR_WORKING_SET_QUOTA Insufficient quota to complete the requested service.

1454L ERROR_PAGEFILE_QUOTA Insufficient quota to complete the requested service.

Sounds like a memory or disk (cache) issue...

@dalewj: What are your disk cache settings like? What does the Speed Guide show your settings to be? What is your net.max_halfopen limit set to, and if you've ever patched TCPIP.sys, when and to how high did you set the limit? Can you get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here?

well it has gone away now, over the weekend at some point it cleared itself and downloaded jsut fine. the xp system is pretty plain, i opened up the TCP ports which allows the complete 100% to be used instead of the 90% limit M$ puts on all their OS's.

but its gone now and havent seen it since. if it reappears i will get some dumps and more info.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a similar error msg:

"not enough quota to procees this command"

I'm getting this error with several files that are on separate physical hdd. Some of the files getting this error are being DL, and some are complete and should be seeding if not for this error.

I'm running W2K, 512MB RAM, Intel Core 2 6300, using 3 USB ext sata hdd.

Any ideas?

TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

A buddy of mine had this error too. It was showing on the task bar as an info bubble pointing to the uTorrent icon.

He's running WinXP SP2 on his machine with 2GB Ram. We've checked his partitions to make sure he was not running short of storage, and made sure the partition wasn't fragmented to a level to cause problems.

Even after checking what appeared to be obvious, the error was still popping up not long after a download has been restarted. Some of the downloads were few megabytes, and some others were more substantial. The results were the same regardless of the torrent we were working with.

I then suggested him to rollback to v 1.6.1 b 491, which is the one I'm using, instead of using the v 1.7 beta. He then checked his configuration to make sure things were pointing to the proper locations and the quota error didn't show up since then.

I know we set his system events log for few days, so if I have the chance to get to his place quickly enough, I might be able to see if this is a system or an application error.

Meantime, if anyone of you are facing the same situation, consider taking a peek at the system's event logs and see if you can find anything interesting there. Perhaps rolling back to the v1.6.1 will be the action to take for the moment being till we have a more precise diagnostic of the error.

Have a good one.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting this error too. Hopefully I can give a little more info that might contribute to a reliable recreation scenario.

First I got the XP balloon notification like SimpleEnough mentioned, with a red X icon in it, stating "Torrent Error:[\n]File: [filename torrent is trying to save][\n]Insufficient quota to complete the requested service". Then, looking at uTorrent, that torrent's Status column gives that same message: "Error: Insufficient quota to complete the requested service".

I'm running WinXP SP2. The torrent's data is being saved to an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I ensured that quota support for this drive is disabled. Suspiciously, the drive's permissions list the owner as an unqualified SID (probably from another computer I had this drive hooked up to).

The problem only seems to happen with torrents that are manipulating larger files. The smallest data set I've seen it happen with is a ~350mb AVI. All the other times I've seen it (maybe 5 times), the data sets have been in the gigabytes. I have seen it happen on already-seeding downloads as well as newly started downloads.

Using 1.8.1 build 12639.

Nothing fishy looking in my event viewer.

After compiling this post, I right clicked on the torrents that just produced the error (there were two), and both "Start"ed no problem...

Not sure if this'll help or not, but here's what process explorer had to say about utorrent.exe:

uTorrent.exe 124724 4,432 K µTorrent BitTorrent, Inc.

Process: uTorrent.exe Pid: 124724

Type Name

Desktop \Default

Directory \Windows

Directory \BaseNamedObjects

Directory \KnownDlls

Event \BaseNamedObjects\WinMMConsoleAudioEvent

Event \BaseNamedObjects\userenv: User Profile setup event

File C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03

File \Device\Afd\Endpoint

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Ip

File \Device\Ip

File \Device\Ip

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Udp

File \Device\RawIp\1

File \Device\Udp

File C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2982_x-ww_ac3f9c03

File C:\Documents and Settings\Music\My Documents\Downloads

File \Device\Udp

File \Device\Afd\AsyncConnectHlp

File \Device\Udp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\KsecDD

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EC0184F5-0BAC-4136-9CF4-566B5651023A}

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\WMIDataDevice

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\WMIDataDevice

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File \Device\Tcp

File G:\unsorted\BitTorrent\Autodesk.AutoCAD.2008.zip

File \Device\Tcp

File C:\Documents and Settings\Music\My Documents\Downloads

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3

Key HKU

Key HKCR\CLSID

Key HKCU\Software\Classes

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5

Key HKLM

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Linkage

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfaces

Key HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NetBT\Parameters

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Key HKCU\Software\Policies

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\g

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\g

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\c

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\c

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\d

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\d

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

Key HKCU\Software

Key HKLM\SOFTWARE

Key HKCU

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

Key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

Key HKU

Key HKCR

Key HKU

Key HKCR

Key HKU

Key HKCR\CLSID

Key HKCR

KeyedEvent \KernelObjects\CritSecOutOfMemoryEvent

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\MSCTF.Shared.MUTEX.MHBD

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\MSCTF.Shared.MUTEX.EPE

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.LBES.MutexDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.Compart.MutexDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.Asm.MutexDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.Layouts.MutexDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesCounterMutex

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.TMD.MutexDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZoneAttributeCacheCounterMutex

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZoneAttributeCacheCounterMutex

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesCacheCounterMutex

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ZonesLockedCacheCounterMutex

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.TimListCache.FMPDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003MUTEX.DefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\µTorrent4823DF041B09

Mutant \BaseNamedObjects\ShimCacheMutex

Port \RPC Control\OLEAC28818ADB2B4EF8A933EBE1C349

Process uTorrent.exe(124724)

Section \BaseNamedObjects\MSCTF.Shared.SFM.MHBD

Section \BaseNamedObjects\MSCTF.Shared.SFM.EPE

Section \BaseNamedObjects\CiceroSharedMemDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Section \BaseNamedObjects\UrlZonesSM_Music

Section \BaseNamedObjects\CTF.TimListCache.FMPDefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003SFM.DefaultS-1-5-21-117609710-1547161642-1801674531-1003

Section \BaseNamedObjects\ShimSharedMemory

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.g.DirtyCount

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.g.NextFileNum

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.{7CB834F0-527B-11D2-9D1F-0000F805CA57}

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.{A48F1A32-A340-11D1-BC6B-00A0C90312E1}

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.NumDeleters

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.GlobalDirtyCount

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.{A48F1A32-A340-11D1-BC6B-00A0C90312E1}

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.c.DirtyCount

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.c.NextFileNum

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.d.DirtyCount

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.BitBucket.d.NextFileNum

Semaphore \BaseNamedObjects\shell.{210A4BA0-3AEA-1069-A2D9-08002B30309D}

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 124420

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 12668

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 123684

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 124728

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 124420

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 123836

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 122756

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 123352

Thread uTorrent.exe(124724): 12668

Token NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

WindowStation \Windows\WindowStations\WinSta0

WindowStation \Windows\WindowStations\WinSta0

I have the same problem as anotheranon and I'm using the exact same build of uTorrent and Windows XP. This happens aften a few hours after I've started uTorrent. I can go for 6-7 hour or more without the error, but then it suddenly appears (makes it a bit slow to try out different solutions). When it happens, I can't even start a command prompt. If I try Run then type 'cmd' the message 'Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service' pop up. The same for a lot of programs, but for some reason Firefox works fine (which conveniently enables me to post this problem without rebooting).

I've been using this uTorrent-build for a while and have not had this problem before. I've tried googling for this issue, but theres not much to be found. I'm downloading to an external drive when I get this problem (1TB WD My Book).

Any ideas? Any reason this should be related to the fact that we both are downloading to external drives? Do other people with this problem download to external drives too? Does anyone using this build download to an external drive successfully?

• 9 months later...

Looks like this thread has been dead for awhile. Did anyone ever find a solution? I'm having the same problem. In utorrent certain seeding torrents are giving me the following status: insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. At first, it was just a few large files (ones that I had only partially downloaded...thought it was pattern). But now lots of my torrents are giving me this error....while others will be seeding fine. I can force a restart...but within minutes/seconds the status error comes back up. Now when I try to force restart some of them I get the following error message: not enough quota is available to process this command. Most of my googling on these error messages show that most people are having system wide issues. This is just in utorrent that I'm getting the error message. I'm on utorrent 1.8.2 (build 14458) using xp. I'm downloading to an internal drive. Been using utorrent for a long time with no problems. The only recent difference in my setup is that I have moved location & have a new ISP. But computer setup is exactly the same.

• 2 months later...

I kept "rechecking" without success. Then I went to c:\docs&settings\user\application data\utorrent\ and copied the torrent. Pasted it to the desktop. Deleted it from uTorrent and reinstalled this copy. It's working. When I download a torrent file I don't 'save' it, but I imagine a saved version would do the same thing.

• 2 months later...

I had this issue but none of the other suggestions resolved it. My error was obviously some sort of permission error but I could not change it manually. For those interested in my fix, this is what I did.

I was running WIn XP SP3 and Utorrent. 1.8.5

I downloaded dial-a-fix (XP only software).

1-I opened dial a fix, clicked on the HAMMER icon at the bottom.

2- I then selected RESET PERMISSIONS, then clicked GO.

When it was done I reopened my utorrent and have not had the problem since.

Archived