Failure to open Browse for Folder v1.7 beta 1952

lippo

The bug occurs when prompted to save the torrent's content to a directory. If a double \ (\\) appears anywhere in the directory or filename (Red in the picture), utorrent will not open the "Browse for Folder" popup box when you select the "..." box (green in the picture).

utorrentdashbugxn9.th.jpg

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the post below stating utorrent does not supporting relative paths.

Please delete this post.

• 3 weeks later...

>Double backslashes are NOT valid.

propably :)

> They won't work in Explorer.

not everyone uses Explorer, and since you mentioned it and the topic is right I want to ask WHY is utorrent using explorer.exe directly

0009:Call shell32.ShellExecuteW(00000000,00000000,00451818

L"explorer.exe",001b95d8 L"\"D:\\Virus [DVDRiP] Eng [1999]

-=Flint=-\"",00000000,00000005) ret=0043a943

instead of ShellExecute(blabla,explore/open, ? I know i know, wine should emulate explorer, but there are people on windows who like to replace it with afterstep for example.

>explorer.exe is used to select a file in explorer in single file torrents. ShellExecute can't do

>that... yet O_O.

I don't get it, select file? you mean like open explorer and highlight the file icon inside the window?

>It is also used to open a folder for a multi-file torrent

what do you mean also? :) "open containing folder" always calls ShellExecuteW(blabla explorer.exe blabla)

> although we could use ShellExecute for that probably...

that would be awesome :) this would make utorrent respect HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\command\open , so crazy windoze users could expect utorrent to act like the rest of the system (if for example they like to browse folders with winrar or other weird perversion) and Wine users could simply integrate utorrent with the rest of the kde/gnome desktop.

> I don't get it, select file? you mean like open explorer and highlight the file icon inside the window?

Exactly :). Some people probably like it this way and it's what uTorrent has done forever, so I am reluctant to change it to a simple folder open command (for single file torrents)...

Of course, if someone knows a way to do the selection thing in a portable fashion that would be good as well :) (I wonder what WINE expects?).

EDIT: FYI it is the /select commandline parameter

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314853

wine doesnt expect anything :) Wine has explorer 'emulator' called winefile ( http://toastytech.com/guis/react29winefile.png ) but its pretty useless. The best way would be to let the user decide what he wants to use for opening folders (folder\shell\command\open), that would let linux Wine users use kde/nautilus, darwine users use Finder, and windoze users use anything thel like. Im curious if anyone with LiteStep or bbLean ( http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/ ) tried to use utorrent and how did it turn out.

Currently you cant use ExplorerXP / Total Commander for browsing folders opened by uTorrent.

I also dont think that people expect the file to be highlighted :). Why would you want that? The only usefull thing I can think of would be pressing enter to open it fast, but if you want to open the file then why open folder in the first place? just click on files tab, select file and click open.

I recall something of a spat when ludde was messing with the file highlighting, but I don't remember exactly what the problem was, or what ludde was doing with it. That it currently does highlight, though, means that it is the accepted/expected behavior.

It isn't just that - it also scrolls to the item in explorer and uTorrent uses it when the download complete balloon shows up on XP. So, if I changed this people would say "Why is this opening %RANDOM% folder" or something...

EDIT: Although don't get too discouraged; I do have a somewhat elaborate plan to try to workaround this although I don't know when I'll get to it

Archived