Maximum Connections

tps18489

That's a good place to start, experiment with this value to see what works best for you. Most likely lowering will have a positive effect. Try using 4 upload slots and throttle your upload to say, 36 or so, and also experiment with lowering/raising this value.

Other than start a new topic for a near enough the same question,

I have a 400/80 MAX/PerTorrent 'Maximum connection' set, and I have unlocked my halfopenconnections to 275. My halfopen connections in advanced settings are set to 100. Are these good values for a 240kbps down, 29kbps up connection? Any opinions would be appreciated.

This is a bit OT but what is a good router/modem brand and model. I have one that doesn't cope very well with two person sharing a 1Mbps/384kbps connection (both using BT). Web surfing is thoroughly a pain in the ass sometimes. Does a dedicated Linux PC acting as a router with the router modem acting as modem only be (much) better?

Well firstly window has a limit to how many TCP connections you can have open at a same time: It's 10, so if you set your half-open connections to like 50 or more it still connects only 10 TCP connections at a same time (correct me if wrong).

Secondly: for 1024/384 connection you should have about 130-160 connections per task and 4 upload slots.

Well firstly window has a limit to how many TCP connections you can have open at a same time: It's 10, so if you set your half-open connections to like 50 or more it still connects only 10 TCP connections at a same time (correct me if wrong).

U r wrong ! this limitation is only in XP SP2, it is a *rate* of 10 connections per second and this rate can also be inreased using special patch ...

Well, you are probably right... not concurrent "TCP connections" as Osjur have explained, but half-open connections (SYN) as you have correctly noted. If the timeout for those is - by any chance - 1 sec., it might limit you to a max. rate of establishing 10 TCP connections to 10 peers per second...

Anyway, it is better (for uT) to increase this...

It's only applicable to Service Pack 2, and there's a patcher out there to raise the connection attempt limit. Remember, this is connection ATTEMPTS, not max number of connections!

Windows 2003 sets it to 50 by default, and the patcher works for it too.

Windows 98 however, limits you to 100 TOTAL connections, unless you set a registry key. ;)

Windows 98 however, limits you to 100 TOTAL connections, unless you set a registry key. ;)

I know, I already "patched" it... ;) The problem is that it seems like the (undocumented) maximum possible is around 400-450 ... do you happen to know of any way to get arround that ?

I don't know of a way to get around it, sorry... though, you shouldn't really -need- 400 on BitTorrent, unless you got like a 10mbit pipe. ;)

The actual maximum is 512. It's a hardcoded limit, you can't get past that any way apparently. :/

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

MaxConnections

Value Type: String

Value: 512

TcpTimedWaitDelay

Value Type: String

Value: 60

this one makes it drop connections in the TIME_WAIT status (closed connection) after 60 seconds, instead of waiting 4 minutes. It should help greatly in dealing with the connection limit. :)

Archived