Bram Cohen and MPAA joins forces

boo

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1006

This is bad :(

Anyway, dont use the mainline client and the bittorrent.com search engine.

I request bittorrent.com search engine to be removed in the default bt search list in µTorrent +

create so that mainline clients aren't allowed to connect to you or that you wont send anything

to mainline clients.

EDIT: sh**, came to think of it, the DHT network is controlled by router.bittorrent.com,

which is controlled by Bram Cohen, which means the DHT network will go under or atleast for a while.

In reality it's not going to change much. The protocol has gained a life of it's own and will thrive despite of what any individual does.

It's business as usual in p2p land. ;)

ya, but not the DHT network, atleast for a while until someone replace router.bittorrent.com :P

router.bittorrent.com will function as usual, and if it does down, DHT does NOT depend on it. Plus, there's always the Az DHT network if for some reason the Mainline DHT is poisoned beyond use (hahahahahahah).

sure, ofcourse router.bittorrent.com will still work,

but mpaa can now get statistics over what trackers is mostly used,

what files is popular, they can easier get acces to private trackers thanx to DHT.

So in short, using router.bittorrent.com, they can poison the BT network badly.

Therefore we should stop useing router.bittorrent.com and replace it.

Um, they can already do that even without router.bittorrent.com. All they have to do is become a node on DHT and voilá, they have peer lists... but it's not any different than using the tracker to get the peer list lol. And they can easily try to poison they swarm, in fact they probably have, since I recall Azureus implemented countermeasures for it in the DHT code in the client. But it's just not really possible to screw the DHT network, no matter what they do. Router.bittorrent.com is irrelevant.

if you're so paranoid and worried about the RIAA or MPAA, just get off BT, or move. but first, read up on DHT.

But it makes the initial connect to the DHT network through router.bittorent.com,

without it you need a node and the info to be entered in the .torrent for the DHT to work,

in short it makes the DHT network less functional.

Firon, the hast tables contains BT peer id, torrent the peer has etc,

so having control over router.bittorrent.com makes it easier for mpaa to poison the BT network,

so just because they already can poison the BT network doesn't mean that we can make it harder for them by having our own DHT router/tracker and abandon router.bittorrent.com ;)

And Firon, I aint paranoid, its just a fact that they have made some very nasty things to sabotage p2p networks and I just want to make it harder for them to do it ;)

It wouldn't really be less functional in my opinion, since with that one node (or more, you can specify multiple nodes) you could easily re-integrate into the network, exactly as if you had router.bittorrent.com, because said node tells you about other nodes and it propagates that way.

And I doubt that controlling router.bittorrent.com would make poisoning DHT easier, especially since it's a decentralized network. The only thing that router.bittorrent.com gives you is 8 random nodes on start-up. That's it. It has no other info, no peer IDs, no infohashes, no nothing.

Which is the reason that it would not be shut down for any legal reason, it has absolutely no illegal content, or even links/info to illegal content. Just DHT nodes' IPs and ports.

I'm not too worried about the MPAA. Sooner or later they'll learn that their heavy-handed tactics don't discourage most people from using P2P, just scares the average man on the street away from trying it. Screw them, when they release movies at a decent price that aren't so damn crappy, then I will consider it. I'm already frustrated that us Region 2 users get ripped off compared to Region 1 users as far as special features on DVDs are concerned.

Archived