Torrent Error: Element not found.

Ares

I've been getting this error a lot on certain torrents. If I restart the affected torrent, everything works fine, and the finished product passes the hash check. It just gets annoying when you have to do this repeatedly to finish a torrent. Any idea what's wrong?

utelement5nl.gif

-Ares

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It varies. This one was from a random tracker I found on a *nova site. I've also seen it happen on a high-profile tracker whose name starts with a D and features a little green guy with pointy ears. (I'm assuming I'm not allowed to mention specific tracker names, right?)

-Ares

After setting diskio.coalesce_writes to "false" I have no longer received this error. I was getting it every 5 minutes or so, and now it went all night on those same torrents without an error. Not saying it's definitely the cause, but it's a pretty big coincidence ;)

-Ares

Thanks, DG. I've had mine set to true for some time, and have only received this error on 1.2.1 and up. I have yet to get that error since disabling it about 16 hours ago. All my pointy-eared torrents are going strong ;)

EDIT: It didn't do it on *all* torrents. I had about 20 in queue, with it set to do two at a time, with 192 max connections and 96 connections per torrent. If that matters any. Other trackers were reporting the error as well. It happened less frequently on pointy-eared torrents. :D

Sys specs:

Windows 2003 SP1

P4 1.66 Ghz

512MB RAM

125KB/s in, 25KB/s out, max

-Ares

I have saved to my laptop's internal drive (Hitachi), and an external Maxtor drive. Both have been tested with SpinRite within the last few months, and are operating at 100%.

The torrents eventually finished, I just had to keep restarting them. When they finished, I did a manual re-check and the data checked out fine.

I'll do the IRC thing later this evening after classes. Thanks!

-Ares

@Poi: I'm not sure that setting it to false will suddenly convert existing torrents. Might only apply to new ones.

EDIT: You could probably check by seeing what the file size of your data is. As in, if it's a 50MB torrent and still only occupies 30MB, then you know it hasn't taken effect yet.

EDIT2: By reset, do you mean completely delete your existing data? Because then of course this couldn't be the problem.

-Ares

Hmmm, I have noticed problems with saving things to the Desktop when the path inside of the torrent is very long. I forget the exact limit of paths. Might try saving to your root, or C:\Downloads\.

Though I really don't think "Element not found" was the error it gave me when that happened. But it might be worth a shot.

EDIT: NTFS has a 32000 character path limit, but Microsoft Windows systems have a 256 character path limit. (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=180410)

-Ares

Here's more information if it helps.

I'm downloading a distribution of linux (which is legal). Here are its stats:

Name: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD1-2-3.i586

Torrent: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586.torrent

Downloads As: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586

Info Hash: f7506ac977f257cc6ea41330d8c14b2da7bbb463

The file sets up a directory on my Desktop with 3 iso images as seperate files within that directory.

Stop the torrent, move the folder manually. Then right click on the torrent, select "Set download location", and point it to the folder in the new location. (NOT the folder it's in!)

Then just start it. No need to force re-check unless you added/removed files.

ohhhhh shit!!!! wazzeeee

When i opened the new beta client all of my torrents has been hided/deleted or i dont know but i cant see them!!

i had about 30 torrent and about 5 left after i opened the utorrent-1.2.3-beta-unicode-build-358.exe file!!

What shall i do?? repair client!!

Eltüntek a torrentjeim (a 30 bol maradt 5) amikor megnyitottam az új béta klienst!!

@bence16: Wow, quite a bit offtopic. You'd have more success posting a new topic in the Troubleshooting section.

But, anyway, I doubt you actually lost any data. You just need to reload the torrents. Either go back to the sites you found them at, or look in the directory that you told µTorrent to move .torrent files to. If you didn't specify that, they might be in %AppData%\uTorrent

-Ares

[We use the %AppData% variable for a reason, every Windows localizes those paths.]

Archived