*.dat files that uTorrent creates

Silverwing

If i'm not mistaken you can safely delete them, and then when you run the check on the torrent again, it will create a new DAT file... not sure how to answer your question though..

might not want to do this with 100's of GB worth of torrents though.

Actually, the *.DAT files store some of what you downloaded I think. If I'm not mistaken, if part of a piece you download is for a file you didn't download, that info gets stored in the *.DAT file. I think that because I only get those *.DAT files on torrents where I don't download all the files.

dht.dat contains information regarding DHT that µTorrent uses when connecting to the DHT network.

resume.dat contains information regarding currently loaded torrent jobs.

rss.dat stores all RSS-related settings, and also holds the history of previously downloaded torrent jobs. This file only gets created if you use the RSS Downloader.

settings.dat contains most of the settings in µTorrent, and also contains the information listed in the statistics dialog.

There is no one single .dat file specific to any single torrent job. The only .dat file even related to torrent jobs is resume.dat, but it contains information about all torrent jobs.

Aha those .dat files. Usually when people start talking about .dat files they are talking about the settings files.

Sorry, I have no idea how to identify which belong to which torrent. I thought those would either be saved to the %appdata% folder or next to the files in question and in case of the latter I thought multi-file torrents always create a directory (named after the torrent) to download to.

You are saying the partfiles are saved to the root of your download directory?

Anyways, you are right about the deleting thing. µtorrent would then have to re-download the overlapping pieces the partfiles belonged too.

Oh. IINM, µTorrent uses *some* hash to determine what that seemingly-random combination of letters and numbers should be, but I'm not aware of exactly what that method is. It should be the same for each particular torrent, so my guess is that it somehow uses the infohash to determine it.

Invy, I just tried it and it didn't work.

Edit: It made a new *.DAT file, but still had to redownload the extra hash pieces. I don't want to redownload them.

Edit 2: But the new *.DAT file it creates has the same file name, so I now know which *.DAT file I should copy. Although that's not what you told me to do, thank Invy for guiding me in the right direction :D

Archived