Changing the Advanced Settings of Utorrent Question

keplenk

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right place to post my question. If I'm posting in the wrong place, I apologize and please point me to the right direction.

I was browsing in youtube with regards to speed tips in utorrent and I bumped to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVq2GkzNrY8

I already know much about the 1st part of this video, however, when the author went to the "advanced" settings (2:03-minute onwards), I wondered:

*All of the questions only concern modification of the advanced settings*

1) If you'll notice, the version of utorrent the author uses is the older version, will this step still be applicable to the latest version 1.7.5 (considering changing only the "names" that is available for both versions and just disregard the new available name settings from version 1.7.5)

2) If I do these modifications (except ipfilter.enable, because im using ipfilter.dat), will it make my utorrent vulnerable or less secure? Will my ipfilter.dat still filter it correctly after changing the settings? I'm really concerned with the security integrity.

3) Is this stuff really feasible or proved to working?

Thanks is advanced and more power. :)

The guy admits that he doesn't know what they are, or what they mean... no way am I following his advice :lol:

On this topic, is there a post/guide written somewhere (here?) at least defining what the terms are, and what they do?

Would be nice to have a resource to help understand/set the advanced options correctly.

THank you for the guide Invy and for both of your replies. Its a good thing I asked about this stuff before modifying my advanced tab.

Anyway, I've read through the guide and I must say that it is very useful, however, most of it still looks gibberish to me (since I'm a noob).

Do you/anyone suggest, in your own way or any other known way, to edit the advanced settings of utorrent?

Do you/anyone have your own modified advanced settings that you might share with us?

THanks in advanced.

After examining them all I changed like 2 settings, and those were just personal preference, nothing to do with getting better speeds on torrents.

It really looks like you just need to get the basic settings (connection speed, encryption, port-forwarding etc) right, then you're good to go :)

Nope... the only advanced setting I have modified is the peer.resolve country which I set to 'TRUE', because I like to see the cute little flags for every peer :P. Everything else is default settings.

The only time you need to modify those settings is if you are having problems with utorrent in one way or another. In this case, I would ask Ultima, Firon, or some other knowledgeable users around here, prior to altering those settings.

What I can recommend is to run the speed guide in uTorrent (by pressing Ctrl+G). This will optimize the basic settings to fit your connection speed.

Archived