How to improve upload speed?

crazlunatic

MY ISP is Rogers (www.rogers.ca)

and I'm on a 8mbps down and 800kbps up.

The thing is my ISP throttles torrent traffic. The weird thing is that I can get download speeds up to 300-500 kb/s, but my upload doesn't exceed 10kb. On a private tracker, uploading is probably more important than downloading, so is there any way I can improve my upload speed?

Thanks

Encryption defeats defeats ISP attempts to throttle µTorrent:

1. (Options, Preferences, Bittorrent) Change the Protocol Encryption to Forced. This will force encryption on all outgoing packets and will not fallback to un-encrypted mode if the peer refuses to co-operate. Good to connect to only encryption-enabled peers.

2. (Options, Preferences, Bittorrent). Remove the check for "Allow Incoming Legacy Connections". This will make all your outgoing and incoming packets fully encrypted, except for tracker communications. Peers using torrent software that doesn't support encryption are dropped.

Encryption only helps against a handful of "lazy" ISPs that try to block/throttle BitTorrent.

The REALLY lazy ISPs that block almost all ports, or totally firewall your connection, can make it pretty hard to use µTorrent...just because you're always firewalled. Encryption won't help on them.

Some ISPs block a port+traffic if they see LOTS of traffic from lots of ips on that port. This is sometimes necessary to fight viruses, but usually just used to torture the file-sharers into leaving the ISP. Encryption won't help against this either. Just because they can read everything you're doing on a port doesn't mean they can't see the traffic -- and to what ips you're connecting to!

Read more about how your ISP's BitTorrent blocking works. (via GOOGLE searches)

Do tests yourself -- not all areas on a "bad" ISP are equally screwed.

Try to come up with settings that match your "usable" amount of download+upload speeds in µTorrent, rather than rough total speeds for your connection.

Good luck!

...You may need it!

Archived