~uTorrentPartFile_*.dat, what's these?

Juggernaut

The partfile stores necessary data when doing selective downloading. Without it, several of the other files you don't want would be created (and thus wasting more space). If you delete the partfile, you'll screw it up. and have to re-download several pieces. Since a piece can span more than one file, the parts of the piece that span into files you skipped are stored in the partfile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that file is part of the original release, it is you deselecting files that creates them. when you tell uTorrent you don't want it to download specific files, those files might share a specific peice with another file you do want to download. in order to complete the file you do want it has to download that partial peice of the file you didn't want. since you didn't want it and it knows that it puts it in those .dat files and it'll need those if you ever have to do a rehash or any such thing or otherwise the file you wanted to download that it shared a peice with will also be shown as incomplete since it would be "missing" part of it in that extra peice if you deleted it.

i think that made sense, hopefully i clarified why they belong there and are required.

that it puts it in those .dat files

If u put anything anywhere it can under no means remain original...

None of the releases originally contain .dat files, so if there now is one it is all but original.

uTorrent has altered the release by not deleting a file needed for operation, but useless afterwards.

Btw, the files are just fine after deleting the .dat manually, so it is not needed in any way AFTER u finished the torrent.

That's why I guess there would be no problem to remove files needed for operation after finishing. It's a pretty standard procedure for almost all apps known to me. U clean up the mess when u're done :P

PS: BitComet, the source of the "BitComet style add download dialogue" does not leave any trash files, so it CAN obviously be done...

PS2: I hope not to sound aggressive, I like uTorrent even with the .dat files! And if the dev doesn't think it's a good idea to add a checkbox to remove trash files after operation, I'll continue using it :) I'll just have to take the time to script it's removal on my own...

but u havent downloaded all of the files, it isnt original either

Bitcomet does not leave "trash files", but if u then select some other files to download, u will have to re-download the pieces that bind them again, in utorrent if u do that the .dat file give the new file the piece that was binding them together, so it doesnt waste data, in bitcomet it just wastes it.

If I skip *.bad files that does not make the release non-original :P

If I skip files a stupid uploader added, that makes it even less non-original...

The .dat (it IS trash as it contains data I DON'T want to have) has never been there and has been created by uTorrent because it needs it for operation. The moment I delete the .torrent file (u don't collect those either, now do u?), the .dat should get sent to heaven at the same time.

U wouldn't like Windoze to keep all temp files, would u? U would have to get a new HDD every few weeks...

Now why would u want uTorrent to misbehave like that? So u don't lose pieces of files that u don't even want to have? I doubt that :)

En plus, leaving it optional would still give u the possibility the collect the tras if u feel like. IF u do :)

for your information, BitComet downloads partial peices, something that wouldn't be allowed if it was adhering to the BitTorrent protocol, which is most likely why it doesn't have any such files. also your definition of "original release" is perhaps referring to what i assume must be the scene release, but what i was referring to was the original layout of the torrent, .bad files or whatever you seem to be skipping included.

• 5 years later...

i would like to register my support for storing those partfiles elsewhere, out of the way of files that i want. and i don't really see how the argument about them having to stay in the same directory because they're a part of the torrent holds water, since we can relocate files within torrents anywhere we please.

Archived