Better encryption

wingo

Hello. First of all I want to thank all utorrent devs. It's by far my favourite torrent client.

Unfortunately, I had to stop using utorrent because of Traffic Shapping. I've tryed several clients, but only one prevents the TS. I'm sorry to advertise it, but it's "deluge".

I don't know how the encryption works, but when the option "encrypt entire stream" is actived it bypasses all TS and I download full speed (16Mbps). Is it possible to someone developing utorrent try to implement

this or better encryption? My current ISP is the only option available where I live and I want to keep using utorrent...

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wireshark logs would be helpful here. Deluge just uses libtorrent, which doesn't do anything particularly different in terms of encryption from uTorrent. It's possible they look for DHT or auto-update checkins, so you could try to turn those off.

Out of curiosity, if you run uTorrent at the same time as Deluge, does uTorrent get limited and Deluge does not? That would be very strange. I expect it would trigger traffic shapping for both of them.

I have dht off because I use private trackers. Ratio is very importante. Running utorrent and deluge side by side, utorrent downloads at 40KB/s and deluge maxs out my connection at 1.8MB/s. No matter what I do, utorrent and even azureus download at 40KB/s. I have all configuration as I had before the TS. It started roughly around mid August. I'm sorry but I don't know what Wireshark logs are.

Ok, that's interesting. It's good to know Azureus is also rate limited. Can you screenshot the Deluge peer list and the uTorrent peer list while this is going on? Sort by download rate, so we can see the fast peers up top.

Wireshark is a network analyzer that can capture traffic. http://www.wireshark.org/

A brief guide about capturing: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml

Can you run the same torrent in both? The seed/peer ratio on the torrent in uTorrent is not nearly as good as the running torrent in Deluge.

It's interesting that you're getting good rates from other uTorrent peers. The transport/encryption must not be the thing triggering the traffic shaping.

@ alus:

I switched those torrents from utorrent to deluge and deluge to utorrent. The same torrent when in deluge, >600KB/s); when in utorrent downlads at 40KB/s max.

When I load several torrents into utorrent the combined speeds of all is 40KB/s maximum. Every client is well configured (router, ports, etc). Other people using my ISP have the same situation with deluge and utorrent.

Same problem here too.... UPC Romania uses TS and no other client beside Deluge can pass over that.... U should dig deeper into this problem because Deluge has too many bugs and crashes alot....but it runes speeds 20 times faster then any other client in TS........

well.. i tryed this client "deluge" and i could dl at 325 kbps (my conn is 3mb max is 375kbps)

but when i use utorrent the speed caps at 60kbps

im brazilian and my isp is wayinternet... they only shape the traffic from 1 pm to 6 pm

i did open deluge then open utorrent

deluge was downloading @ 280kbps and utorrent started downloading at 5kbps

then i used the limit to 150kbps on deluge and utorrent started to increase but it stopped around 30kbps

ss >

asddh4.th.jpg

i really like utorrent and im used to it but can it be banned from my isp somehow ?

the peer diference is not so big and deluge was already open when i started utorrent

sorry about my english :P

well.. i tryed this client "deluge" and i could dl at 325 kbps (my conn is 3mb max is 375kbps)

but when i use utorrent the speed caps at 60kbps

In uTorrrent, did you try setting Encryption to "Forced" and disabled "Allow incoming legacy connections"?

Can you get Wireshark logs of both clients?

Welll....truly....it is not in my interest for utorrent to do what deluge is doing....why?

Because utorrent is the most used client and passing the TS will force the ISP to find other methods of TS....But as long as i use it for myself...nobody will bother to do that....

Yeap, Deluge does it well and I can't use any other client until some of the more mainstream ones will be able to perform in the same manner.

As for the latest alpha release of 1.8, it shows the same capped speeds either if the connections are encrypted or not. And I mean it's the same pattern: a quick burst for one second then a straight line of 300 KB/s, whereas the aforementioned client goes straight up to 2 MB/s.

Archived