Newbie question: Download only one file at a time

ab.ba

Hello,

I'm new to uTorrent so please excuse if this question is completely stupid ;-). I read the FAQs and searched the forum but could not find a answer to this:

Is it possible to download only one file at time within a torrent? In other words, can uTorrent automatically prioritize single files of a torrent and download them completely instead of loading just parts of several files leaving you with a bunch of unfinished files in case the torrent does not complete. Also, this would be a great feature to quickly find out if you are really downloading what you were looking for.

I know that there is the possibility to manually prioritize files of a torrent but what I am looking for is an automatic process, i.e. uTorrent itself sets one file to high priority, downloads it completely and then sets another file to high priority and so on.

Thanks,

Andy

You have two options. The first minimizes wasted download time. The second ensures you only have one complete file at a time.

Under Files tab you have the ability to set priority levels for files.

Default is Normal. You can change to High, Low, and Do Not Download.

Changing priority allows uT to request the pieces you want first/more often but it does not ensure you get the specified files first. (Set what you want to High, everything else to low)

The alternative is to set what you want to anything. Then set everything else to "Do Not Download". Please note this may be inefficient for downloading during time periods/windows/scheduler as you need to be at the console to change the priority of the next file to non-DND...

Hope this answers your question.

Archived