What is the difference between DHT and MAINLINE DHT?

dudeboyz

Why didn't the official torrent thing adopt Azureus DHT then?

BTW, Bit Spirit is my 2nd fave client. I totally dig it. Utorrent is smaller and easier to configure / use though, so that's why I use it instead now.

I don't understand much about torrent stuff, but what I do know is that I just want to download my TV shows at a fast clip and then seed them when finished so others can download too. Other than that, the rest is beyond me. :)

"all other" clients being.. BitComet, lol.

And Mainline itself.

Mainline (that is, the official client) doesn't like trackerless torrents created by µTorrent because they don't specify any DHT nodes [or at least, the ones I get don't specify any DHT nodes]. But µTorrent is perfectly happy with trackerless torrents created by Mainline.

Hello,

I have created a torrent with Azureus 2.3.0.6, DHT enabled and started the upload with Azureus.

After a while I switched to seeding that torrent with µTorrent 1.3 build 364, DHT also enabled.

µTorrent would return peers to me as shown in the General tab under Detailed info (DHT status: Announcing got 19 peers)

So if µTorrent is incompatible with Azureus DHT how is it possible that µTorrent seems to return "DHT peers"?

Maybe an explanation is the info hash is also "published" on the µTorrent (Mainline) DHT network alongside the Azureus DHT? Or µTorrent just returns peers that are using Azureus DHT in the swarm (but I can't connect to them)?

Interesting. Of course I hope µTorrent adopts Azureus DHT or even better combines it with Mainline DHT.

nightshifted: in reality, you never see mainline clients on DHT (because trackerless torrents are virtually non-existant in the wild). That's why I say it's basically only BitComet.

emtec666: It's getting BitComet and µTorrent peers from DHT (the two clients are on the same network)

Any client (leecher or seeder) on a torrent can can "publish" the torrent on their respective DHT networks.

Why didn't the official torrent thing adopt Azureus DHT then?

not entirey sure but it seems that ppl dont want to admit that Azureus does actually have the best DHT system by along way. its quite depressing that everyone seems to disrespect azureus so much, its an absolutely fantastic client and if it werent for the java runtime it would be even better, ppl should learn to admit that azureus does have some extremely good features that many torrent clients do lack. its not the most popular torrent client for no reason ya know.

Is there any word if µTorrent will implement the Azureus DHT + The Mainline together?

I think that everyone would like this, if it was to implement it that would get it a LOT of popularity as it would be the first torrent to do so at this stage..

but I guess that is up to Bram Cohen & friends to sort out...

To get it implemented as an official protocol as part of BT, yes, but just to get it working, I'd imagine you only need a client that supports both..

nightshifted: in reality, you never see mainline clients on DHT (because trackerless torrents are virtually non-existant in the wild). That's why I say it's basically only BitComet.

So Mainline won't publish or look for peers on DHT with a normal torrent, only if it's 'trackerless'? That sucks :P

Damn, I looked at a bit of the source code of the Azureus DHT found here

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/azureus/Azureus_2.3.0.6_source.zip?download

and specifically this from the zip (which I assume is the core component)

http://rapidshare.de/files/9148673/dht.zip.html

And some parts are commented well and other parts don't have anything. I don't want this to be another reverse engineering task but I hope the devs are wanting to implement the Azureus DHT as well as the Mainline one as µTorrent will be the first client to do so (and would make the popularity increase dramatically, as would Peer Exchange).

Archived