uTorrent vs Azureus

Rag

i have been doing some tests with these two clients to see which one offers the best downloading speeds, and which one makes the most connections with seeds/peers in short amount of time.

in the test i have used two difirent torrents, one which is very fast with many seeds, and the other one with many peers and very little seeds.

this way i wanted to find out which client does the best job in diferent surcomstances...

This are the results:

Test1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azureus:

torrent location:

http://www.torrentportal.com/details/184916/Tom_and_Jerry_collection_vol1_french_dvdrip.torrent.html

after 1min:

connected to: 3 seeds/ 21 peers

downloaded: 99.1 kb

1min4rz.th.png

after 5min:

connected to: 15 seeds/ 163 peers

downloaded: 1.09 MB

5min1ub.th.png

after 10min:

connected to: 15 seeds/ 167 peers

downloaded: 4.06 MB

10min1uq.th.png

========================================================================================

Test2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

uTorrent:

after 1min:

connected to: 1 seeds/ 16 peers

downloaded: 16.9 kb

1minslow4hk.th.png

after 5min:

connected to: 8 seeds/ 63 peers

downloaded: 128kb

5minslow1hk.th.png

after 10min:

connected to: 4 seeds/ 79 peers

downloaded: 924 kb

10minslow3ua.th.png

=================================================================================================================

These test have been done two times, both times the results were similiar, 1st time i did the test with u utorrent, then with azureus, then with utorrent and again with azureus.

it seems that azureus connect faster to seeds/peers, and it also get higher speed faster...

Settings of both clients were the same, and also the same port has been used.

I used this fast torrent to see which one gets higher speed.

http://borft.student.utwente.nl:6969/file?info_hash=%18%F6%20s%FD%FA%DA%D5%91%86%94%10%DE%A5%8FV%B6%1Fi%A1

in this case it seems that uTorrent gets higher speed faster then Azureus...

i would like to see test from other people, u can use the same method as i did and post the information here...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe u didn't understand the point of this post... i actualy like uTorrent its just that after testing it seems that Azureus has better way of connecting.. i am trying to figure out why is it that uTorrent fails where Azureus works, and i would like to see uTorrent improve on this point so i can use it again.

i don't think there is anything wrong with this post, thats why i would like to get more information on this, also test from other people, to see what kind of performance they get.

Yet another completely improper test that depends on so many other factors its not even funny.

agreed plus who knows if he has the correct settings in µTorrent :P

the easyest way is to deny it, or u can do the test your self and post the results... i can't prove that the settings are the same so if u don't want to belive it then its your problem.

the truth is that there are so many variables with BT that there are no good ways to test speed.

actualy i think that u have no clue what is proper testing, and just acting smart.

i would love to hear from some experts what they think about this, and what is the proper method of testing if the way i tested it is not proper. not that i want to prove anything to you, i want to prove it to myself and to find out which client works best for me.

the truth is that there are so many variables with BT that there are no good ways to test speed.

actualy i think that u have no clue what is proper testing' date=' and just acting smart.[/quote']

*sigh* if you are going to flame and act stupid,

you can just leave this forum.

*sigh* if you are going to flame and act stupid,

you can just leave this forum.

u are the one who started flaming me first, how bad i did the test, its not proper and all these things, and when i ask u what is the proper way u keep silence.

I prefer to see you're doing the same. Do you have knowledge about networks? How do they work? About how the TCP/IP protocol works and hows BitTorrent uses it?

Use Azureus if you believe it will always download faster for you.

i am not expert in networks but i do have knowledge about them... and no i dont' belive that Azureus is the best thats why i came to get more information.

i know that u guys like uTorrent and every criticism is taking as personal, and that u don't want to accept that its not perfect.

all i wanted is to show my tests, to get see tests done by others and if my tests were not properly taken then show me what is the proper way.,.

ok, maybe I said it harshly, another try:

Your testing isn't made correctly.

And sure, I like µTorrent allot, but I'm not blinded by it ;)

Some of the many factors that decides speeds (read belove this example too):

* BT Tracker 
- settings
- what kind of server its on
- internet connetion speed and type
- how it prioritize
- location in the world
* Seeders/Peers
- what kind of setup they have on at home (firewall/proxy/router/bandwidth shaper)
- BT client
- setting in the BT client
- peer prioritize (bt client/settings)
- each seeder and peers location in the world
* You
- what kind of setup they have on at home (firewall/proxy/router/bandwidth shaper)
- BT client
- setting in the BT client
- peer prioritize (bt client/settings)
- your location in the world

Because of how a tracker works plus tracker and peers prioritization,

each time you connect to a torrent, you will be connected to different seeders and peers,

who has different varibles (check above).

In short there are some good and bad trackers/seeders/peers,

therefore speeds and connections to seeders/peeers can vary.

It does seem that, time after time, other clients do download/connect quicker than uTorrent. OK, these aren't scientific tests done in a contelled environment but you would expect uTorrent to come out on top in at least 50% of the "trials" if you assume the clients are equal. I am happy with uTorrent but it would be interesting to see results with DHT disabled.

I read somewhere that Azereus may be doing the same cheating that BitComet is...specifically disconnecting and reconnecting to peers quickly and often to download more than is fair via optimistic unchoke -- which is meant to give new arrivals something to share.

If you run a connection monitoring program (I use TCP View), you could probably watch this action almost realtime to see if this behavior occurs.

In any case, I think µTorrent is a little slow at reaquiring connections lost for whatever the reason -- although I don't think it disconnects from peers on purpose.

An interesting thing about the torrent posted:

The only peers giving a D flag are named "Fake Bitcomet" aka BitSpirit. All of them snubbed me. The amount of BitSpirit users was around 40% and I guess the rest of them was too busy sending pieces to the clean peers leaving no upload slots to the new ones.

The amount of peers connected was not bad though:

1 minute: 2 Seeds, 36 Peers, 32 kB downloaded

5 minutes: 8 seeds, 95 peers, 2.23 MB downloaded

The fact that both trackers are very unresponsive also makes this test pretty useless. DHT would kick in on both clients, and we all know that Azureus peers are way better than BitComet peers. :P

Oh, and after 3 minutes I was connected to 4 seeds, 45 peers, (75 is my max, disconnect inactive peers is ON) and I got 1.5MB of data.

Let's see what the 5 minute mark says.

4 seeds/45 peers, 2.9MB downloaded at 5 minutes.

8MB, 3/51 on the 10 minute mark.

Pretty slow torrent. :P

Heh your statistics don't help to compare though, since you might have a faster connection than him ;P

But at least it shows that µTorrent isn't unable to attain reasonable speeds for a *presumably* slow torrent... One last thing to point out though... the link to the site should probably be removed. And those images should probably be edited.

Of course, it might've gone faster, but I was uploading on DC++ at the same time, so I'm sure that slowed it down a bit, even with cFosSpeed.

At the 20 minute mark, (still uling on DC++), ~22MB downloaded, and I was connected to 7 seeds, 68 peers. :P

At the 25 mark, 29M, 5/59

I guess I'll stop it now.

Archived