Found Trojan

Arlyn

Thank you for responding. I'm certain it's from running uTorrent. Every time I open uTorrent, I get a trojan. I never get a trojan running anything else and I run my McAfee AntiVirus program each time I run any program. The trojan embeds itself directly within my uTorrent file.

I'm grateful for your AntiVirus recommendations and will check out both sites in your note. I've got my fingers crossed. :D

Hmmm. It didn't come as an RAR or SFX. The only place I could have downloaded it (other than at the official uTorrent web-site) would have been at File Hippo. It was so long ago when I downloaded the original program, that I just can't remember which location. Since you tell me that it is impossible for a bad copy to have come from uTorrent, it must have come from the File Hippo site. That is the only other place I've used.

I appreciate your and DreadWingKnight's kindness in sorting all this out. Thank you both.

Ahhhhh! I see. Thank you so much. I'm just about finished cleaning out my harddrive and will re-download uTorrent. If I continue to get that trojan alert, I'll just ignore it as a false positive.

That information is a real relief. I appreciate you, Dear One!

A great possibility to check a file for viruses with tons of search engines is http://virustotal.com. In this case its great to find out what engines report false positives for a particular release. The site uses the newest signatures for all engines of course so it may won't give the same result as the ones that used in desktops without the latest updates downloaded.

For the record, 1.7.6 stats are:

1563aa0d20c571551dc33eeff5255694 *Beta\TAS\utorrent_1.7.6-b7859.exe

60eca8c1980be34bef2118698fabb844 *Old Versions\utorrent-1.7.6.uncompressed.exe

474975a886dfe1452517358724ef195b *utorrent_1.7.6-UPXv3.0.0.exe

01/22/2008 01:00 AM 219,952 utorrent_1.7.6-UPXv3.0.0.exe

As you see, the packed size of uT hasn't changed ;)

Archived