how to stop files from checking?

raphmiester

Hi, when I exit utorrent (either right clik and exit from the system tray, or from the file, exit) sometimes when i restart utorrent, it checks the files before starting to download them. Since I have a dual core computer which is quite outdated, this process for games and movies takes... a LONG time....Obviously te files are ok, but how do i prevent this from happening?

thnx.

If it centers around having a lot of torrents with a lot of data, µT might not be finishing up before its 10 second time limit on closing expires. In preferences > advanced options you can set bt.graceful_shutdown to true, and then µT will take the time it needs to shutdown. It can also be caused by interference from another program, posting a Process Explorer w/ DLL list log will let us check for such a program.

cheers gthk. I have done as u hav instructed, and will not bother posting a process log as of yet, ill wait and see the outcome first. What else is worth editing in that list of bt.x? Ive never really noticed it before, and not sure what all their functions are.

Also, i save all downloaded files to an external HD, does that make any dfference in regards to the shutdown of the program?

Probably, normally µT force shuts down in ten seconds, an external drive IS slower though, and so it might force shutdown before it finishes saving your data. The graceful_shutdown option tells µT to take the time it needs. I used to use this option, but my new computer with an internal SATA drive seems to do nicely :). The only problem with graceful_shutdown is if another program messes up µT and prevents it from saving data, it wont close, you don't seem to have this problem though, and I've only seen it once, from another forum poster.

As for the other options, they shouldn't be changed without either instruction to do so from one of the forum regulars or a mod/admin, or you can read the user manual to learn what they do and see if there is something tweakable for your situation. They're called advanced options and are labeled do not touch though because you should know what you're doing first :P.

• 3 weeks later...

Torrents which are still working in the background when uT is stopped unexpectedly will recheck when starting up again. New torrents have nothing to check because they are new, and were not interrupted.

Are you running uT self-contained ? Have you changed any of the folders for torrent or data storage? Are you saving to any external drives?

• 5 years later...
Hi, when I exit utorrent (either right clik and exit from the system tray, or from the file, exit) sometimes when i restart utorrent, it checks the files before starting to download them. Since I have a dual core computer which is quite outdated, this process for games and movies takes... a LONG time....Obviously te files are ok, but how do i prevent this from happening?

thnx.

After a lot of experimenting, I found the workaround.

Stop the Torrent > Start it Again (if it doesn't work click Force Start)

But make sure you have your connection online.

Hope it helps you! :)

Archived