Limited download speed around 30kb/s

Nev06

I have not limited my downloads by the selection, its completely allowed through my firewalls as i have the green check mark, and what really pisses me off is that ive tested my connection with those seed tests and i get like 4000 kbs. ive tried multiple things to try and fix this but it doesn't seem to be anything normal.

so please help me and thanks

yeah ive tried the slackware but yeah it is still limited, and also somtimes it works fine but mostly it it limited at 30. ive tried portforward before, ive tried playin with the upload limiters, and ive tried fixing stuff with my internet gateway.

i dont think it has anything to do with my os (Vista) cuz it worked fine before.

I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM right now and it is driving me up the wall. I did all the speed tests, I am also getting around 4500kbs. I have my upload speed set at 65 kB/s as per the speed tests and conversion given in the FAQ. I also tried one of the suggested torrents and it will not exceed 30kb/s download speed. I am getting this same thing with torrents with huge amounts of seeders and leechers. I have tried every single adjustment reccomended in the sticky thread, but to no avail. And my ISP is NOT listed as being one to cap download speeds or whatever. Not 2 days ago I was downloading at upwards of 500 kb/s!!

Someone please help me ASAP!!

EDIT: thought I would mention that the only firewall I have is the standard Windows XP one, and my torrent client has been added to the safe list. Could a new anti-virus program (AVG v.8) that was just installed have something to do with this?

Unless I am misunderstanding, which is quite possible lol, I thought my upload cap was set correctly? I followed all instructions, I am in no way a leecher.

EDIT: Wow this sucks, apparently my ISP is connected to Bell somehow, so from 4-2am they limit speeds. Why would I have never noticed this before tonight??

Your ISP is doing what we called speed shaping or speed throttling.

welcome in the new era of getting raped by big companies...

what they are now doing is limiting the P2P speed during the peak hours. Ie. 2pm to 4 am...Bell Canada is limiting at 25k download and 5k upload. Other companies are doing the same, with slightly different hours or speed.

Only way around it is to open a VSN then bypass the throttling.

they Cap the speed at the source, so no program encryption will work (already tried them all...)

Go check acanac.net forums, they give a good trick around it.

http://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewtopic.php?t=5903&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

But the virtual pc they give is only for their customers. Possible to register for similar services with other companies... google it

azureus and utorrent encryption won't work for this kind of speed shaping because of the way the ISP is controlling all packets that are sent and received. It is not only affecting the P2P but also some online games using similar sending packets and even VOIP...

sucks but right now there's not much to do against it. CRTC has received lots of complaint and are looking into it, and other agencies are also monitoring the problem, but as of now, nothing will be done to change the problem in a near future.

Interesting update... thanks nick_korea for providing some new links for me to browse, and I came upon this hot-off-the-presses as it were :D

Canada and bell are going toe-to-toe ;)http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2930/125/

Timelines are good... in Canada? ( some background if one needs any... M. Geist runs neutrality.ca )

The star covers/panders? here http://www.thestar.com/article/425493 http://www.thestar.com/article/425778 I also got some hot news in my own home state >< It's amazing how stupid US news has become.

Wow this is really really nuts...talk about a friggin monopoly Bell has!! As said in the Toronto Star article, the only reason I never signed up for Bell Sympatico 6 years ago was because they placed limits on DL speeds and the amount you could download...they charge you if you go over a certain limit. My ISP has never had anything like that. As a result of this, I'm sure these independent places are surely going to suffer. Based on that article though, looks like they might be trying to do something about it as it seems to be affecting things it should not be.

I am glad to know that at least SOME of the time I will still get amazing speeds...I started to DL a few files this morning before work, they were going around 400 kb/s. I decided to stick it to Bell, left them seeding at 60kb/s for about 9.5 hours :)

Can someone enlighten me on "opening a VSN"?

Nick I think means VPN.... and there's guides like the one @ acanac (acanac is specifically for their community... there are guides about setting up a proxy and a VPN connection and/or you-pay services for a remote proxy-- be sure the proxy information in uT is correct with login if necessary). If they don't shape encrypted traffic.. more power to you. At least some sort of rebuttal will be waiting by the 29th. Whether anything gets done... I'm still amazed it's not a 3 year endeavour like in US courts.

My bad, I really meant VPN lol...

the only reason why the case is getting so fast in the system is because it is not a normal court of justice lol!

Acanac VPN is reall god at the moment, hope it'll stay like that for a long time. presently downloading some videos at 400 kb/s, during the peak hours of speed shaping

Oh and by the way.. If your ISP is a reseller of Bell, you will get throttled. My account just got hit this week. they have been working on the speed shaping since April.

Usually happens around 4pm to 2am. Check the speed on your torrents then.

Sorry for being a noob though, that only works if you are with their company correct?

Any idea where I find a guide that would work with my ISP? Sorry if its a lame question lol, despite having been downloading torrents for years, I do not know too much about it in a technical sense.

Just search for em... Lots of tech- and filesharing-oriented websites have recommendations. What comes up some on here is http://relakks.com

Keep in mind any host you choose.. that will be your "new" external IP according to the swarm. You should check around first to be sure the stupidity which is bluetack doesn't have your IP (if you can find out ahead of time) or the company's IPs (check using whois) on their lists to save you headache later.

Archived