Windows XP SP3 and Utorrent

Daigelmir

Hi;

I just upgraded my XP to SP3, and since then my Utorrent is downloading at a very slow speed (ranging from 9~20 kb/s). I have a 1 mb connection, and I rechecked my ports and firewall with no luck ... Utorrent was working just fine before the upgrade ... I'm using version 1.7.7.

is there anything to do to overcome this problem?

regards

You have 1Mbit download? Have you checked to see that you can sustain 100+ KiBps in uT from http://slackware.com/torrents/ ?

You should only have to run it 1-3 minutes to see a sustained download speed. Have you checked through http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

Many people find settings change after an update. Be sure your uT Preferences did not change. Most commonly encryption and a high half-open are to blame. Turning it on and resetting to default should help.

If even the test torrents are that slow you need to try the procedures (usually limiting your connection settings more and reducing active features) to see if you can increase THOSE, then you can presume other torrents CAN reach those speeds where the swarm allows.

As far as hermanm's idea about connections, if you override Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen you will need to repatch your tcpip.sys after the installation of sp3 as it definitely would override your existing file to update it.

@jewelisheaven

I see, so I need to patch the TCPIP.sys ... I saw a topic about this in this forum so I'll need to refer to it ... but what is the ideal settings for the patch? (I know that the default value for the TCP/IP connections is 10, but what is the suggested value?)

also is there any configurations that I should make in the utorrent settings?

@Firon

I'm sorry but I did really get you ... but if you mean the upload rate ... it is at the default setting (as the speed guide set it for me).

thanks you all for your replys

Edit:

Ok ... I restarted my laptop and everything went back to normal ... strange huh?? and I haven't applied the patch ether!

Hi again ...

it seems the problem came back again :/ and I don't know what's wrong!!

what annoys me is that when I was using sp2 .. everything was fine ... it all happened when I updated my system to sp3 ...

I also tried other torrent clients and they all have the same problem ...

will there be a fix or a new version which will eliminate this problem?

Almost all 1 megabits/sec ADSL connections have no more than 1/3 of that as upload.

Most only have 128 kilobits/sec to 256 kilobits/sec upload.

You probably need to use xx/256k in Speed Guide, as Speed Guide does not automatically choose your settings based on your bandwidth for you.

as I said before ... This problem occurred when I upgraded my system to sp3, but it seems that it's more than that. You see, I reverted back to sp2 then I restarted my computer ... After that I started using utorrent and it worked perfectly, or that's what I thought, but when the the first download had finished and the second download started, the problem was back again, and utorrent started to dl/ul at low speed (15 kb/s for dls - 9 kb/s for uls) ...

although the network status in utorrent is always green, it's still dls/uls at low speed. I don't think that there is a firewall/router problem since those were already taken care of, and I don't think that this is a problem involving speed guide since the upload rate is also low.

• 1 month later...

Archived