Completed A Torrent With No Seeds?

Kung-Fu Theater

Today I finished a torrent that was showing 0 seeds. Though there were 5 peers in the swarm, I was DL'ng from a guy that was at 75% completed in connected leeching peers. No other peers were connected, and no seeds. Yet, I still managed to finish the torrent. In memory, this is the first time I've done this using a BitTorrent client.

I know that with edonkey/emule everyone downloads different parts of a file in no particular order, so this would make sense if I was on ed2k, but this was a torrent.

Anyone know how I managed this? Is that normal?

Availability is important. If availability > 1.000 then you can finish the download. Availability takes into account YOUR % downloaded and the % of others. It is possible for all peers to be stuck @ 91% and be uncompletable until another client connects with 18%, 9% being the data others need. So therefore the avilability goes from .91 to 1.09.

its completely random and called the snowball system, for faster piece distribution. The client picks the rarest piece first. Your client picks piece 46 first while mine is picking piece 635 etc. It doesnt make sense having 50 peers with piece 56 while anybody has piece 888.....

And many times new torrents are propagated by an initial seeder (previously called "super seeder) so peers don't try to demand the first and last pieces from the lone seed repeatedly. BitComet clients are terribly bad about demanding first and last pieces...killing seeding. I'm not fond of sequential downloading for the same reason.

Initial seeders show up as peers typically with low percentage complete -- often just 1 piece they wish to offer at a time. And of course they don't download from anyone.

Archived