user mapped-section open???

crutchfiea1

Im relatively new to utorrent, but the past few downloads ive tried lately have all came up with the same torrent error:user-mapped section open. Right now im defragmenting my hard drive to see if it helps because someone with the same problem told me to do this. I'm using windows vista sp1 and I also have another problem which im not sure is relavent to this forum, my windows explorer keeps freezing at random times. I have to go into task manager and cancel the process and restart the process. Does anyone know any programs that may fix this. I have uniblue power suite which is a registry cleaner, avg antivirus, and outpost firewall. I have the red icon in the bottom of my utorrent window and maybe my port isnt forwarded properly because i have to manually forward it with vista. Where can i get directions to do this? Ive ran the speed test and changed my port to a lower number because vista doesnt like high port numbers. Any help would be great.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

1) for your utorrent error:First, do a force re-check (right click on the item with the error go down to Force re-check)Then go to C:\Users\"your_user_name"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and delete all the .torrent files that you are trying to download (you can delete all of these if u wish they just waste HDD space) finally start to download the file again.

2) for your explorer.exe you might wanna reinstall windows.

3) for your port problem go to www.portfoward.com then click guides, and under port fowarding, click port fowarding by router, choose your router and follow the steps there.

and also make sure all your firewalls allow utorrent.exe

Krazzei thank you for providing help. However giving instructions without possible un-intentional side effects is rude IMNSHO.

In Vista while I'll agree ROAMING is the most common manifestation of the APPDATA folder, it's not always correct. Secondly REMOVING THE TORRENTS IN TORRENT STORAGE WILL GIVE YOU ERRORS IN THE CLIENT unless you're starting from scratch. The torrent storage location (appdata by default, until you change it in preferences) IS NOT a waste of space. uT REQUIRES that location to keep your torrents. For people who regularly use auto-load, you can enable "move, not copy" to only keep ONE copy of the torrent.

• 1 month later...

I had the same user-mapped section open error and here is what I did to solve the problem:

1) I used Force-Recheck;

2) I found out the file that was causing this error, right-clicked it and used RELOCATE to save this single file to another folder;

3) When i restarted the download, it completed but I had to restart my computer to remove the old copy of the file in the original download folder.

I don't know what caused the error but I hope this little guide helps others with the same problem.

How did you find out the file that was causing the problem? This has happened to me twice already, and I did what other people said. I cancelled the download, and removed the .torrent, and all the data from it. Then I defragmented my HDD, redownloaded the .torrent, then redownloaded the torrent. This time, instead of it stopping at 13% like last time, it stopped at 50% with the same error. This is a 8 GB torrent, going on a 12GB HDD. THe 12 GB HDD is basically empty, so there is no problem with room.

I am running Windows XP SP2, and I'm using build 11813

I too have been having this issue. First with an upload, then later and most recent with two downloads.

Utilizing 1.8 (Build 11813) on Vista home premium. Never encountered this issue until using this particular build. I have been a long time user of UT (Since the 1.5 build series) and am a little annoyed to say the least. Will proceed with the steps above and get back here asap.

Well, maybe I was mistaken, maybe I reinstalled the last 1.7.x that worked for me befor I have upgraded tp 1.8.x, so instead of 1.7.5 it was 1.7."somthing" but the problem related to "user-mapped section open" started with 1.8.x and by upgrading to 1.8.x+ the problem remained. I'm not near my PC now so I don't know the exact subversions.

I am encountering the same kind of error with build 11813 on XP SP3. I've tried changing the download location of the file but the error crops up again. I suspect it may have something to me uninstalling some Adobe software in the background via the WinCS3Clean route.

When attempting to delete the initial download folder I got what lookd like a WindowServer2003 error in a dialogue box too.

Firon, I cannot run chkdsk on the PC right now because it's upgrading (hopefully upgrading, not like Vista...) to SP3. But I do have the right permissions.

But even, say for example, I do have a small amount of errors on my second HDD (where I'm downloading everything), why is this only happening with 1.8.x, and not 1.7.5.? I'm not complaining or ungrateful or anything, but I'm just curious why this is happening only with the 1.8.x?

Hi All, I came back to tell you exactly what versions doesn't cause me this infamous error, after posting Post #8 and Post#14 I decided to check out my previous downloaded versions of utorrent.

I have two previous versions 1.7.5 size 219,952 and 1.7.7 also size 219,952, that caused me some confusion so I have checked their time stamps and 1.7.5 is Sep. the 12th 2007 and 1.7.7 is Jan the 26th 2008

What I did is - first I've cleared all of my downloads, started a fresh bach of downloads, only 4 at a time, version:1.8.0.11813

After several minuets two of them got the red X User-mapped.. error

after an hour I got five downloads stuck with that error.

I forced a recheck and of course did Chkdsk and Defrag and installed the latest beta version, gave it an hour, the same errors.

Then I decided to install 1.7.7 and not 1.7.5 which I knew that didn't cause me any errors because it was mentioned that 1.7.5 in not supported.

Now running 1.7.7, the night is over, NO MORE User-Mapped..etc. errors, the only pop-ups I got were to inform me about a bunch of comleted downloads.

So for now I'll stick with 1.7.7 .

I probably didn't understand the meaning of "unsuppoted", now I get it, you mean by unsupported that since ver 1.8 is out previous versions are unsupported, I thought by mistake that unsupported meant that those versions are faulty or something like that.

In that case I'll continue using 1.7.7 till this problem is over. At least my torrents are downloading fine and no errors.

Yes, that serious. Arbitrary code can be run simply by running a malicious torrent if running earlier versions of utorrent.

As for your other issues, try 1.8.1 12024. If you still get the user-mapped section problem, try ensuring that diskio.sparse_files is disabled.

Archived