disk overloaded 100%?????????

viralinfection

hi, so currently at the bottom of utorrent it has the green circle tick and my dht, but now it says 'diskoverloaded 100%' i dont know what this means.

i looked through the faqs but all it says is it'll go away after a few mins, its been a couple of hours now, i've restarted utorrent and my pc but its still there. in the faqs it mentions the cache settings but i dont wanna mess with them cause i dont know what im doing.

can anyone shed some light on this as i have no idea what it all means?

thanks alot

You can also try turning off your cache without disabling Windows cache. Unless you're transferring files in the megabytes, you usually don't need it. Also, defragmenting the drive where you torrent download directory is will increase sequential writes which will help with performance.

• 2 months later...

i'm beyond frustrated with this problem. i've been trying to fix it based on the advice given in several threads here but no solutions have worked.

if i can't get it fixed by tomorrow i will probably try a different torrent client for the first time in my life.

i upgraded to the new version b/c 1.8 was giving me the tracker timing out problem and now i can't keep a consistent DL speed w/out this disk overloaded 100% error showing up and killing the speed.

i just wish there could be a solution posted or some general guidelines for what to do

most of the things i've read are really difficult to even figure out... for instance in the guide/faq it says that getting this message is normal just after you've added the torrent... that's hardly a clear statement.

how long are you supposed to wait? five minutes? thirty? an hour?

if anyone has a step by step guide for what to do with this problem it would be great, but as i said, i'm so frustrated with this that i just want to delete uT off my hard drive and switch to another program.

ridiculous

i apologize for my exasperated tone but this is also messing with my ratio on my favorite private tracker. i just need a stable client that i can count on to run properly without me spending hours of my time attempting to even understand the directions given by people on how to approach the problem.

my hard drive is not transferring in PIO, it's DMA and i de-fragmented my hard drive. tried all the different cache tweaks, (the ones that i understood) and that's where i am now.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

untouchablex25x --> Your solution solved the problem instantly! My download speed is stuck on 10 kb/s, and has the disk overloaded 100% message on the bottom of uTorrent. I did your solution and my download speed instantly went up. Now, I'm downloading at 280 kb/s. Thanks!

Additional information: This solution worked for me, however after a period of time, the disk overloaded message appeared again. I did the solution and the speed goes up again. I do this everytime the message occurs.

• 6 months later...

I've seen many of these posts today, all of them stated the delay of the Disk Overload with making the cache larger in size. (from 32MB upto 600Mb, etc.)

I've had this problem today too, didn't know how to solve it either.

(A description of the problem I had: Besides the DHT notification there was an Disk Overloaded 100% error message. When I went to the tab Speed, and selected in the Show: dropdown menu "Disk statistics", I saw my cache/buffer being full, I couldn't empty the cache either, except when I turned off uTorrent, went to Taskmanager and ended the utorrent.exe process, as that process contained the cache, still. Finally having done that I could restart uTorrent, but the torrents needed to be recheck (10s of GBs, takes long!) But the Cache, yet again, didn't write a bit to the hard disk. Of course you can expand the Cache, but eventually it will be full again.)

Yet, people said things like, DMA and the drive jumping to PIO, etc. I'm not quite sure I understand these terms. But also, people mentioned having uT reinstalled, security software uninstalled and even the complete OS of Windows having reinstalled, but without succes.

I'd figured that it wouldn't be something triggered in Windows itself. As my Windows froze the other night because of 100s of mp3's starting at once. While I wanted to have them in my playlist (just one simple hit on the enter button will cause that... xD) But my Windows froze, so I need to shut my notebook down with the button.

Next day I began downloading and got the Disk Overloaded 100%, began searching for it on Google and came out on this page, and many others afterwards. (So please don't complain if this is bringing up very old topics, as this was one of the first topics that came up.Might come in handy when others try to Google the same problem.)

So I'd figured it wasn't something done by Windows itself, more likely to be something that happen when booting. I have an ATA hard disk, and my bios was configured with using the IDE controller for ATA. I've now changed that to the AHCI controller.

Of course this might fail again, but my cache/buffer (Which firstly didn't write to the hard disk at all) has written over 443 MB to the hard disk.

Maybe AHCI isn't the right setting, but for now it works. As I already said I don't have a lot of knowledge about why the terms are like they are and what they are for. So I don't know the difference between IDE and AHCI either. I just know it works like a charm for me now.

So if anyone needs to solve this problem, try this.

Though I haven't tried on turning AHCI back to IDE.

(Btw: Already downloaded 700MB by now, with just a cache of 32MB, so no need to extend it.)

Kind regards

MeDutchy3a

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having this problem after updating to the latest 3.0 alpha (build 24289).

Download speeds will go down to the few KB/s with a 'Disk Overloaded 100%' message unless I disable write caching. Checking and unchecking the option does not help. The condition appears and disappears instantly after I accept the enabling and disabling of the write cache, respectively.

• 4 months later...

I get the same error from time to time .. I don't really know ... If it starts giving me problems i'm going to act like everyone here ... Try every one of the methods and stuff. Also ... I'm constantly downloading gb of data off torrents with 8-11 mb/s so where is that cache folder or something? Or how can i delete that cache?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I found that this usually occurs because the computer's CPU is being maxed by another program. open task manager (windows fix) and either raise uTorrent's priority to above normal or lower the CPU hogging process to below normal. This fixes the problem. Scilor's grooveshark downloader also causes the disk overload 100% error, as it takes all of the CPU.

Explanation: uTorrent was meant to be a background torrent client, and being so, gives other programs priority over itself. This causes problems when the CPU is maxed by another program or process. That's where the cache comes in. However, if the CPU is maxed for too long, the cache becomes full and you get the "disk overload 100% error". In response to all of you who have this problem and do not have any programs or processes that are hogging disk writes (CPU activity), you may have a technical problem. The cache has nothing to do with this also, so when in doubt get rid of the cache. ^_^ this has been a public announcement by JY1235689.

*note: when I say that the CPU is maxed, I mean that Windows task manager is reporting 99-100% CPU usage relentlessly.

Archived