What is a good share ratio?

Sub Lover

BitTorrent is based around a tit-for-tat scheme, which means that people who share more are more likely to get decent speeds back from peers in return. Keeping at least a ratio of ~1.0 is standard recommendation, and rightfully so... If you receive 5GB, you should give back at least 5GB.

A ratio of 2.0 is excellent :)

how do i see a peer's share ratio? I know I must get a pc guy to come configure my firewall, yet still unsure of the risks associated with it. Question is am I fast already...fastest download speed is 120k download and a constant 240k on the upload. How fast are the average torrent transfers?

My connection is a 20mb down and 2 mb up on a cable connection. When I use Limewire Pro I get 1800k down and Ares gets me about 1200k down, but both result in virus laden files so I dont use them much. Utorrent has never downloaded a virus and gets the best quality files.

So am I ok where I am at speed wise? If I open the firewall will it make any difference on download speeds considering the way things are setup? Am I already faster than average?

Thanks for all the help so far!

why would I want to block an ip or ip range?...Are they bad trackers? Im such a newbie at all the technical side, but find it fascinating and would like to offer my bandwidth to help research the transparency issues challenging developers today.

Hey BTW tonight came my highest download rate so far at 360kB...cuts my time into a 1/3...very nice

This forum rocks!

Particularly in the 38.92.0.0-38.127.255.255 range there are some hostile peers/seeds that poison torrents intentionally with bad pieces. There are other lesser-known bad ip ranges.

ipfilter.dat might also be used to try to download/upload torents locally, such as on a college/university size WAN/LAN.

Don't block (most) of the 38.100.x.x peers though. You can download torrents with http://imageshack.us/tor/

As for reasons to block.. in the beginning companies decided to spam your connection with bogus clients to waste your connection slots (people will only connect to peers up to a certain limit--usually configurable by the enduser), then they decided to make fake peers/seeds and spam you with bad data... then the clients mostly added protections against this and they've... moved on? Depends on what content you want and whether it's monitored by those companies online.

So ipfilter.dat can include things like 127.0.0.1-127.0.0.1 #I don't want to connect to myself

(that's a silly rule since uTorrent auto-bans, but you get the idea, you can make comments for yourself for later... like 12.34.56.78 # downloaded my best podcast and this douche was spamming me with bad data.

NOTE: I think the messages are turned off by default now... you'll want to go through the Logger tab > right click > context menu option under Verbose and Error AND always leave "misc errors" enabled, as not all strings are grouped by section yet.

No, you have to download a premade...or create from scratch a ipfilter.dat file...using wordpad or notepad.

You have to watch closely in peers window to see who sent you pieces that fail hash (hashfails column). Tight groupings of ips that send ONLY 1 piece each...that always fail hash...those are bad. :P

thelittlefire, I'm not aware of ANY good 38.100.x.x peers.

ok to find the bad data senders I look on the general tab and see the amount of hashfails there are.

I am downloading a 30GB file right now...it has 3 hasfails for a total of 21.6MB. I have 4 ip's near the same, I have at least 3 sets of 2 of the same ip. How do I know which ones are sending me these hashfails? How do I stop it?

What is a normal amount of hashfails for a 30GB file?

http://utorrent.com/faq.php#What_is_ipfilter.dat.3F

Peer is the general term for a client on the swarm when talking about bittorrent transfers. In utorrent this means it consists of both an IP and a port. Therefore, in the peers tab, when you right click, add peer, just typing in "12.34.56.78" won't do any good. It must be "12.34.56.78:12345". When you add IPs to ipfilter.dat, it's only a host address so that's why it's not just said peer... You should check out Ultima's Manual from the help menu, or @ http://utorrent.com/download.php

• 1 month later...

Hopefully some of you knowlegable people are still looking at this thread...

Basically i am looking for some advice regarding share ratio, and how it affects my download speed + what i can do to get a good ratio/not be a scumbag :) so please don't jump on me if the following stats offend you -

Needless to say I am quite new to bittorrents, but having read several tutorials I'm pretty sure I have utorrent + router set up well.

my internet connection basically allows me to d/l at 450kbps and upload at 50 max (if i set it higher than 30 though it cripples the dl speed) so that in itself doesn't lend itself well to a good ratio - which at present is 0.266. so if i am downloading all the time utorrent is on... scumbag yes? I very much agree with the whole share and share alike mentality, so aside from leaving utorrent on specifically when I am not downloading what can I do? and finally how does your share ratio affect dl speeds in general?

Sorry if I sound like a dumb-ass, but well... I am

any thoughts would be appreciated :)

It's not so much that it affects your download speed. It's that if no one seeds, no one will be able to ever finish the torrent either.

You should seed to at least a ratio of 1.00, which generally entails leaving the client running when not downloading.

Archived