.torrent files are invalid torrent files?

Yomi

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Every time I try to start downloading a .torrent file it says it is an invalid torrent file. I tried everything it said in the FAQ, and yes, the "associate with .torrent files" button is very much so pushed.

This is the first time I've tried using uTorrent on this particular computer, so I don't know if it's just the computer or what.

Nope, that's the way I have been doing it. I tried double clicking it (with uTorrent as the default for torrent files) and using the "add" button in uTorrent. Both gave me the same message. "Unable to load 'blahblahblah': invalid file type!"

The ctrl+U thing didn't work.

I'n not sure what you mean by "paying for [my] own connection". The internet connection? Yes.

And, does it happen with all torrents? I don't think so, no. I tried downloading from the bittorrent site and that seemed to work just fine. It seems like the ones from this one, specific site aren't working. Though, a couple of these torrents, I've actually downloaded from in the past, on a different computer, so I don't know why they're not working now.

You can't work a text editor?? I'm beginning to think you have larger issues :P

As far as Ultima's editor.. it was made to analyze/view bencoded data... which comprise .TORRENT files and all of uTorrent's .DAT files. You download/open the EXE and click/drag or Ctrl-O open the file you want. If it's not valid bencoded data that's your problem... but the more general text editor is to try and ascertain HOW it's not valid.

• 2 years later...

I'm getting invalid torrent files, but bencode editor says they're ok.

was trying to dl the whole wikileaks archive, inside wikileaks_archive.7z, but some files are being reported as invalid by utorrent, although bencode editor doesn't find anything wrong with them. Here's an example:

d8:announce42:http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce13:announce-listll42:http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announceel44:udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announceee7:comment53:WikiLeaks release - Afghanistan_OEF_Property_List.csv10:created by13:mktorrent 1.013:creation datei1291400652e4:infod6:lengthi0e4:name33:Afghanistan_OEF_Property_List.csv12:piece lengthi262144e6:pieces0:e8:url-list57:http://88.80.16.63/file/Afghanistan_OEF_Property_List.csve

there's more files giving errors.

Just noticed the file referred in wikileaks.txt.torrent has no extension, tried to fix it with bencode, but file lenght and pieces are set to 0 - is it possible to fix them in any way (more interested in the other files, though, as these are just file lists)?

Btw, should I use bencode x64 or unicode, if I want both with win7 x64?

Archived