Can someone please explain "static NAT" and some other stuff to me??

birdsey

HI,

I originally had another woesome post describing my limited speed and connection problems. So far the problem is solved due to my accidental disabling of my routers uPnP. Now I have normal transfer speeds and that green icon. Anyway...

I have "static NAT" enabled on my router. What does that really do?

Even with my uPnP on, my router's firewall blocks all traffic when set on "medium" or above. I thought that the uPnP settings prevented this?

Finally, I am running uTorrent on a wireless connection. Because of that, would a static IP be possible?

THanks for looking!!

Hiya GTHK! Thanks for the reply.

My router is indeed drek, a standard issue belkin wirespeed. So how would my craprouter handle a static IP?

And again, I was still wondering the point of uPnP when it's freaking firewall still blocks the traffic. And... static NAT? Wha? :)

PS: my router is PPOa, what's the point of bridging connections? Should I?

Sorry for the barrage of inquiries here.

The Belkin wireless router is used for DSL? Anyway, bridging is mostly to remove double-NAT's easily, when a device is bridged, it acts like a cable extender (or if a DSL router, then a phone plug to Ethernet jack converter).

Static IPa's are generally done on the computer. You only assign a static IPa to an Internet facing router when instructed to do so by your ISP.

Static NAT appears to be an old/lesser used term for port forwarding.

Ok.. so I guess there is no bother doing a static IP on my end.

My setup is that my modem is my router; phone jack goes into Belkin, ethernet jack comes out via lan or wan. IF that makes any sense, it was supplied by Verizzzon.

I disabled static NAT because it seemed to interfere with traffic.

But I still have a remaining question; Since the only firewall I have running is through the router, why would my uPnP port forwarding be affected by the firewall settings? Currently I can only configure it to "off" in order to have the ports forward and come through.

Oh BTW this is really random, I'll give it a shot...

Under my Window's "security center" it tells me that the firewall is ON via Norton, even though I uninstalled that shit weeks ago. I used the program's own uninstaller rather than window's. The only other ad/spy protection I have is Avast!, of which I completely disable when downloading. Anyone know what's up with the ghost Norton???

Thanks for helping out GTHK!

Archived