Overall Download Speed never go faster than 1 MBps

dt8884

Things as they are... 8 Mbps = 1 MBps I have made sure that all of my references to both Mbps and MBps are correct. I have an 80 Mbps up/down fiber optic connection to the Internet. The computer has an Internet IP address and a direct line to the Internet without any routers in the way (other than ISP Equipment). I am running Windows Server 2008 which does not have a built-in limit of half-open tcpip connections. I've set uTorrent to have anywhere between 50 and 2000 half-open connections without a change in speeds. uTorrent is set to unlimited upload and download speeds (setting those to various static numbers without an increase in download speed). The maximum number of connections are set to 1000+ for each torrent (I've changed these settings to various numbers without any effect). I can consistently reach 50+ Mbps upload speed for torrents.

That's everything I could think of that might be relevant to resolving this issue. No matter how many, or how few, torrents I have downloading or uploading I seem to be capped at a 1MBps download speed for torrents. Is this something set in uTorrent on purpose, or is there something I can do to fix this? I've also observed that not a single user has ever downloaded faster than 1 MBps from me.

Thank you for your help.

-Dave

I've downloaded a few of Torrents for Open Office before and they have the same problem. I'm not complaining about people not uploading fast from me, that was merely an observation that I thought might help. I cannot download faster than 1 MBps no matter how many peers, seeders, or torrents I'm downloading from. The overall download speed is never faster than 1 MBps in uTorrent.

I thought I had made that clear in the first post by specifying 1 MBps = 8 Mbps. Anyway my Internet speed is 80 Mbit/sec and I can't download faster than 8 Mbit/sec using uTorrent. My upload speeds are unaffected as my overall upload speeds have reached the full 80 Mbit/sec.

You have not specified which uTorrent version you are using/testing, so presumably it's v1.8.3?

There have been multiple posts saying there's various speed issues with v1.8.3 betas and certainly with v1.9 alphas.

And I would not be surprised if some software firewall (like Norton?) isn't causing rate-limiting issues because it's not good at handling incoming download packets at >10 megabit/second.

Thanks DreadWingKnight and Switeck for bringing up those items that weren't perfectly clear or left out all together. I'm using the stable v1.8.2 and I've done tests with firewall and antivirus software disabled. With nothing but a wire going directly into the Internet my speed for downloads in uTorrent, and only in uTorrent, is getting throttled. In case it matters the ISP is Mstar; I've done research online and can find nothing about them throttling any sort of Internet traffic or anything else. Also tests have been done at all times of the day and night so it isn't due to high volumes of end-users using up all of the bandwidth.

I'm only using the Advanced Windows Firewall that comes with Vista and Server 2008. My Antivirus is Clamwin which doesn't have any active scanning capabilities. I've never installed any other Antivirus or firewall solutions on my server.

My main question is if there might be any settings causing this problem, if there is a fix for this, if this is a part of the programming, or if anyone else has had a similar issue.

You can never be 100% certain that problems aren't being caused by a third party software, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have anything installed that would cause problems this specific.

What about file/search indexers? Those too can cause severe file lag...especially for downloading.

To keep upload speeds sustained with such a fast line, I'd expect that you're using at least 20 total upload slots. Whether they're 5 upload slots per torrent split between 4 active torrents or some other combination I haven't a clue.

I don't have any 3rd party file/search indexers and the Windows Indexing Service is set not to start on the computer.

As far as slots, I have them set very high 1000+. I don't think that the amount of upload slots would matter as the upload speed and the download speed are as high as they are and independent of each other. I'd be willing to try different settings for uTorrent. It's hard to find tutorials that mention Fiber Optic Internet speeds. My knowledge of servers is a lot more than my knowledge of uTorrent settings. Is it better to keep the upload and download slots more limited? What's the optimum setting half-open tcpip connections (keeping in mind that the OS doesn't have a built-in limit)?

Archived