How do you move utorrent downloads and still download?

SouthFlorida

I have had utorrent running for months and it has over a hundred torrents in the list that download at different times of the day and night. The downloads defaulted to the username/download directory. The disk has gotten to full. So my only option is to move all the partially downloaded files to another disk. I looked all over the the utorrent programe for a place to change the default download directory and I couldn't find it. So I went to the options/preferences/directory tab and changed all of those settings to my new disk location even though none of those settings appeared to relate to this. So I tried it anyway. Didn't work. Anybody know how I can move my files to another disk and tell utorrent to resume the downloads to that new location instead of the default location? I'm using vista and the newest utorrent 1.8.2 but I don't think that matters. Thanks!

So I went to the options/preferences/directory tab and changed all of those settings to my new disk location even though none of those settings appeared to relate to this.

Not retroactive to already loaded torrents.

Stop the torrents individually, set the download location individually, force a re-check individually, start individually.

"Not retroactive to already loaded torrents.

Stop the torrents individually, set the download location individually, force a re-check individually, start individually."

I know how to stop the torrents, force re-check, and start, but to change the download location you are refering to the new downloads under preferences/directory? So I wipe utorrent totally clean as though I just installed the program and than I move the original torrent file that I used to start the download to the new disc location. I than move the partially downloaded file to that new location. I load the torrent file and than do a recheck. I do that one by one until I have all the partially downloaded files into utorrent. Is that correct?

I appreciate the help. I am learning as I go. I heard about torrents but didn't know how to use them until a couple of months ago but I have never talked to anyone that has downloaded utorrents before now. I just googled and read reviews and found that utorrent seemed to be the best client. And I have learned a lot about this program since than and I have downloaded about 200gbs since and have seeded about 450gbs. Obviously, still have a lot to learn though.

In case this is entertaining to anyone, what I did as a precaution was copy all the partially downloaded files from the old disc to the new disc. Then I took off all the permissions from the user/download directory(default) so that utorrent couldn't access those files. This way if I messed everything up, I could just open up the permissions again and utorrent should hopefully be back to where it was before. I set all the locations in the preferences/directory location to the new location. I had deleted all the torrent files previously(the files I originally downloaded to start the torrents in case I stated the term incorrectly). Well, what happened was when I started utorrent back up, it gave errors on every torrent and said it couldn't find them. But when I later rebooted my machine, it did something very strange. It had apparently stored the torrent file of every torrent I have ever downloaded over the last two months somewhere because it came up with all those torrents set to zero percentage downloaded and started downloading them at the new location even though most of them had been completed and deleted off utorrent weeks ago. I stopped all of them and did a recheck on all of them and it found a few of them and not others even though all the partially downloaded files were all there. This brings up a security issue for those who don't want people knowing what they are downloading. Utorrent is keeping track of all the torrents you have ever downloaded somewhere on your disk and they don't go away when you delete them out of utorrent. Maybe that is common knowledge to everyone. I don't know.

Thanks for the help. Looks like the best way to do it is as follows:

1. Remove all the utorrent torrent listings from both the download and completed list.

2. Move all the files (torrent and partial downloads) to the new location.

3. Highlight all the torrent files in the new location and right click with open. Then hit ok on each(just clicking your mouse as fast as you can). My vista will only let me do 15 at a time though.

If you do it this way, you don't have to individually set each torrent in utorrent to the new download location. Also, you won't have to force a re-check on any of them because re-check will be done automatically. However, I'm assuming that you have to set the new downloads location in the preferences/directory once for all torrents before you do all of this because that is how I did it. I haven't tried it without changing the preferences/directory location so I don't know if utorrent is smart enough to know where the torrent file has been run from. I doubt it.

So now that I know how to do it, it is pretty easy. But I had to learn a few things the the hard way. First, if you don't delete everything out of utorrent first, utorrent will start running and not find the files and error on each one. Once you have that error, at least I could not find any way to get them working again. So I learned just to delete them up front since I will have to delete them out anyway after they error out. Secondly, I had deleted all my torrent files a couple of weeks ago because I figured that since the downloads had already begun, I wouldn't need them anymore. I was out of luck until I did a search and found a history of all of my torrents at C:\users\username\AppData\Roaming but they have the extention of .loaded at the end of each torrent file. So all I had to do was delete the .loaded off the end of each file to restore all my torrent files.

I also learned an important security lesson that uTorrent does leave on the disk a list torrents ran.

Archived