Use of uTorrent with multiple NICs

limey_1953

I hope this is right forum to ask this question, my apologies if it is not.

I do most of my downloading on my laptop as I generally don't turn it off.

I have an AT&T datacard that I prefer to use for torrent activity as it is not shared bandwidth and I can just let it run at network speed, however, when at home I often connect to my 802.11 network as well and when that happens, torrent traffic switches to (due to the higher available bandwidth ?) causing conflicts with other family members trying to play online games and such.

What I would like to do is "force" utorrent to only use the datacard and ignore any other network connections, is this possible ? and if it is, can someone please tell me how to make it happen ?

Thanks in advance.

Net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip seems to work but will have to be reset every time the IP for the datacard changes which could potentially be daily. What I was hoping for was a way of binding to the network interface which would eliminate the dynamic ip address issue.

Turn off your wireless when you're at home. It'll force µTorrent to just whatever net connection is available which is your data card. Some laptops have a hard switch to turn off wireless, so it might be a trivial change. Other times, its just a matter of going into your network connections and disabling temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, while disabling or disconnecting the 802.11 network while using the AT&T datacard (3g) at home will certainly force all traffic from uTorrent onto the datacard it will also prevent me from using other resources such as printers and NAS that I would like to have access to.

Setting the net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip is the best solution so far, if I could just define the interface by it's name rather than by IP it would be ideal.

Archived