Configuring BitTorrent to work witn a VPN service

jordan69s

Thank you for reading my post.

I am using an external VPN service and BitToorent 6.1.2 tracker is not working correctly. The HTTP tracker says is offline, so the only downloads that works for me are the one were DHT, peer exchange and local peer discovery are allowed, which are not always the case. In BitTorrent configuration in the connection tab there is only a place for Proxy setting, but nothing for VPN.

Your help would be great,

Thank

As far as I know, DHT cannot use a proxy and may not go over a VPN depending on how windows networking + the VPN is set up. So your real ip+port is being sent to other peers/seeds that way.

I don't believe Local Peer Discovery can use a VPN at all and might also use your real ip+port.

I am surprised to read that since everyone keeps talking about how VPN is the only and safest way to download and that using a proxy is not, since VPN creates a "safe" tunneling to where ever those servers are setup. If local peer discovery uses the "real" local IP it would totally eliminate the whole point of using a VPN.

So, there is no way of setting Bittorrent to use a VPN? If you search VPN in this forum you will find so many comments on how we should use a VPN service while downloading... Even my self I asked that same question in the beginning of May in this forum and that was the answer I got: Pay a VPN service!

Were are all those guys that recommended me to use a VPN???? Can you now tell me how to set it up please?

Thanks

Setting it up also includes disabling DHT and LPD in uTorrent. :P

You also have to be VERY sure uTorrent doesn't try to use your regular connection *IF* the VPN goes down/offline.

Beyond that, I have NEVER used a VPN and don't know the details involved in setting one up. :(

Try checking your active torrents peer lists to see if your real ip and/or VPN ip are in them.

flashvpn.com I did not know how to setup proxy using a VPN. There are a few choices like http, sock4 and 5 and couple other choices, then if I check http, it is preset to use 8080

If you could please tell me what settings to use I will give it a try,

Many thanks

OK, Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get Bittorrent to work properly?.

Here are the details again: The HTTP tracker says is offline, so the only downloads that works for me are the one were DHT, peer exchange and local peer discovery are allowed, which are not always the case. I have many downloads that says DHT, peer exchange and local peer discovery are not allowed, on those downloads nothing is downloading because they cannot "see" the seeds. The tracker in question is Demonoid, BitToorent 6.1.2, OS Windows XP PRO SP3, VPN service is flashVPN.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and have a great day

The problem is not at Demonoid's end since as soon as I stop the VPN service, the htltp://inferno.demonoid.com tracker starts working right away and DHT, local peer discovery and peer exchange still are not allowed. So as of right now I can download stuff using vpn as long as DHT, local peer discovery and peer exchange are allowed since the http tracker stops working.

Do this makes any sense? Does anybody else is having this trouble????

Please advice

Archived