UPnP not working

udownloader

Hi,

No matter what I try UPnP with utorrent 1.1.3 will NOT work for me!

I have a Billion 7500G ADSL Modem/Router which I know supports UPnP.

In fact I have confirmed this in a number of ways as follows:

1. Windows XP detects it as a UPnP device on my network.

2. Bitcomet successfully and continually (without fail) opens and closes random or static ports when needed.

3. Bitspirit also successfully and continually (without fail) opens and closes random or static ports when needed.

4. MSN Messenger can succesfully open ports.

5. A number of other tests all work.

This leads me to believe that something is not quite right with the UPnP implementation in utorrent?

If I manually forward ports all is OK, but due to mobility issues static forwarding is a pain so I'd love this to be working properly and would be happy to help in any way I can.

Keep up the good work!!!

Regards.

I couldn't get UPNP working for my router either until I went to My Network Places and on under Network Tasks clicked "Show icons for networked UPnP devices." Now under my internet connections, I have a category named Internet Gateway that shows Internet Connection. It says disabled, but I can access all the port forwarding feature of my router from it's properties->settings option so I guess it's working.

I have a Zyxel 660HW which is also UPnP compatible.

Azureus was able to assign ports in the router using UPnP but uTorrent always reported NAT Error.

I was not able to view the router in the 'My Network Places' window even though 'Show UPnP....' was enabled.

When I looked at XP's services I found that 'Universal Plug and Play Device Host' service was disabled as well as 'SSDP Discovery Service'.

I loaded a reg file that has the default settings for XP Pro and rebooted.

uTorrent now reports UPnP OK.

So it's possible you might have some necessary service disabled.

You can find what default services should be running here: http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/m/cmgsunshine80/servicecfg.htm

Got UPnP working last night - looks like I didn't have the required Windows components installed... I downloaded a little UPnP test app that checks if UPnP is working and links you to a web page that gives you things to check out if any of the tests fail... Can post the link if anyone is interested...

You might as well, it might be have help to anyone else who has problems.

BitSpirit includes a program, (MyPNP.exe), that supposedly detects PnP devices - however it didn't detect anything on my machine even with uTorrent saying 'UPnP OK' and the aforementioned 'Internet Connection'.

ludde: That doesn't explain how Azureus was able to report/map UPnP ports even when there wasn't an 'Internet Connection' on my machine and the fact that the SSDP service was Disabled- unless it uses it's own method of detecting UPnP devices.

You might as well, it might be have help to anyone else who has problems.

BitSpirit includes a program, (MyPNP.exe), that supposedly detects PnP devices - however it didn't detect anything on my machine even with uTorrent saying 'UPnP OK' and the aforementioned 'Internet Connection'.

ludde: That doesn't explain how Azureus was able to report/map UPnP ports even when there wasn't an 'Internet Connection' on my machine and the fact that the SSDP service was Disabled- unless it uses it's own method of detecting UPnP devices.

I think there are 2 ways to detect UPNP. One accesses the UPNP through Windows (the fast way), and the other is to actually scan the network for an UPNP device.

here's the link to the site I got it from...

http://www.mgillespie.plus.com/

here's the link directly to the exe...

http://www.junegillespie.plus.com/UPnPTest.exe

Download and use at your own risk.

:-)

I was having the same problem - NAT errors, down was sluggish compared to up - and I ran this test app, followed the instructions and now I'm cooking with gas. Thanks. :-)

I should also say uTorrent rocks.

I was having the same problem - NAT errors, down was sluggish compared to up - and I ran this test app, followed the instructions and now I'm cooking with gas. Thanks. :-)

I should also say uTorrent rocks.

Oh yeah - my specific problem was that the UPnP broadcast period was set to 30 minutes. Needed to set it to a lower value. :/

• 1 year later...

I was wondering.. what is your version of uTorrent?

I had the same problem.. I read all of the threads.. but none could answer my problem.

I then stopped to read the version changes from 1.6 to 1.7b.

It stated that 1.7b fixed several UPnP problems.. including some router-specific problems.

The main problem that it fixed is uTorrents apparent incompatibility with some (mainly Vista) UPnP.

SOLUTION: Get uTorrent 1.7b or higher

• 2 years later...

ut 1.7b is not a solution. I have utorrent 1.8.3 on XPsp3 and upnp enabled in my d-link dir-655 router and am a unix/linux admin and programmer and cto of my company and not even slightly mystifiied by the netwroking concepts involved here and have done all the above tests and instructions and the upnp test app even says all tests pass

http://brian.aljex.com/gallery/v/bkw_001/junk/upnp_proof.png.html

And upnp is selected in utorrent, but no matter what it jus does not add any forwarding rules in the router

http://brian.aljex.com/gallery/v/bkw_001/junk/upnp_proof_2.png.html

and the port forwading test always shows yellow or red exclamation and the test in utorrent fails.

Other rules come & go in the router via other apps and other pc's so I know the router is working, plus utorrent did set up upnp rules one time a few weeks ago. A one time fluke incident I have not been able to reproduce.

If I MANUALLY configure the necessary port forward rules then of course port forwarding works fine but I obviously don't want to use static ip settings on my laptop nor do I want to have to constantly be editing port forwarding rules in the router manually.

I have a static linux box with static forwarding rules already and can use a torrent client on that. And my router happens to be able to do static dhcp so I could leave the laptop doing dhcp yet always get the same ip and so I could have a static port forwarding rule to the laptop that way too.

I'm just saying that anyone else banging their heads against the wall trying to get utorrent to do upnp, don't give too much weight to any of the things above that say "just do this and it works." for example, utorrent 1.7b or greater is not a solution all by itself, nor is anything else in this thread yet.

The main bittorent 6.1.2 which appears to be a rebranded utorrent DOES work.

The last mainline python based bittorrent 5.2.2 client DOES work.

By works I mean, on the same machine and router, I exit all bt clients on all machines on my network, go into properties/advanced on the "internet connection" in network connections and delete any upnp rules that are there to start clean. Then fire up one bt client on my laptop, then check the internet connection properties/advanced again and see if any rules have been added. bt 5.2.2 and bt 6.1.2 both work. ut 1.8.3 does not. All 3 clients had at least one torrent added just to make sure it tries to use the net.

Since mainline bt 6.x seems to be rebranded utorrent, and works, I guess the thing to do is just use that now.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had a problem with my router, a Huawei HG520s. UPNP was activated in it, and in uTorrent and I could see that the port was automatically opened in the router but only for UDP (I don´t know if that's OK or it is necessary to be open for UDP and TCP). Yet, utorrent and the port check page reported that the port was closed.

What I did was to go to Preferences / Advanced and set "net.upnp_tcp_only" and now it works perfectly with upnp, nat-pmp and random port enabled in utorrent.

Don't know why, but it worked perfectly.

Hope this is useful for you guys.

Archived