BitTorrent vs. uTorrent

BlueDragon

Nothing.

Oh yes I expected an answer like that... :rolleyes:

With BitTorrent around 1.5MB and uTorrent around 300KB... I guess it's to have the people, who might think that with 300KB uT cannot be a good application, to download BT... :lol:

@schnurlos

Yes devs might be, the boss (ordering and finally getting the bucks) I don't know... :D

Well, DNA is distinct from the mainline BitTorrent application itself, so I wouldn't quite consider that as a difference between the two :P Indeed, it could contribute to the increased size. The download comes with the Ask.com toolbar comes bundled with the installer for BitTorrent too, which adds almost 1MB to the installer -- not a functional difference between either application either.

The difference between BitTorrent and uTorrent is currently minimal.

BitTorrent is bigger than uTorrent as it is installed by an NSIS installer and it bundles a toolbar (which is installed only if it is accepted). The separate BitTorrent DNA client is not bundled with BitTorrent any more.

uTorrent has no NSIS installer and downloads a toolbar only if the user accepts it, so the downloaded package is much smaller.

uTorrent 1.83 and BitTorrent 6.2 are functionally the same.

Current practice is to put out a BitTorrent stable release based on the latest uTorrent stable release a week or so after the corresponding uTorrent client goes stable. uTorrent has an alpha and beta program but BitTorrent does not. In general if you want a "good" Bittorrent client, then it doesn't really matter which client you use. If you want to be sure to have the most up-to-date release then use uTorrent. For cutting edge features in alpha and beta builds you must use uTorrent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i created a some torrents in Bittorrent, and downloaded some files with it as well, which completed. i've had them all seeding away smoothly while fetching just an occasional new thing recently.

well i decided to start using utorrent instead, but utorrent doesnt' recognise many of my torrent files. after stopping and forcing rechecks, a few are now recognised. othersare not. and OTHERS, utorrent has appended the suffix !ut to, so that BITTORRENT no longer recognises them!

WHAT A PAIN IN THE ARSE

i wish there had been some forewarning of this. so now at least someone may take caution from my experience and not migrate

@DoomProof: Just so you know. It is unlikely µTorrent crashed your system on its own. Usually it is the intensive system (i.e. hdd and net) use of µTorrent that certain programs (firewalls, virusscanners, other security software, malware, file indexers, the list goes on) aren't able to handle.

µTorrent itself doesn't nestle deep in your system and as a result is unlikely to directly cause crashes. But if programs that do nestle deep contain bugs or are badly coded µTorrent might be able to bring that to the surface.

Kinda similar to how doing heavy exercises might cause dormant heart conditions to surface.

dreadwingknight, if your remark there was a response to my post, the torrents had been fine in Bittorrent. Not broken. perhaps utorrent has some special brand of torrent it prefers, and, that being the case, proceeded to break my torrents for Bittorrent. if you have any practical information to offer I will consider it.

Thankyou DreadWingKnight for your suggestion. However no media indexer has been involved. The Torrents were not corrupted for one of the set of ANY Torrent clients, as I said before; namely Bittorent. And none of the files concerned is an MP3.

As to utorrent not preferring some special brand of torrent, I beg to differ. To be clear, by brand, I don't mean a proprietary product name.

Utorrent, and no other entity, has done something to those torrents that has rendered them unusable by Bittorrent.

I had Bittorrent working fine, then installed Utorrent. I opened the torrents for the first time in Utorrent, and then the next time I opened Bittorrent saw them all register errors there.

@ hz

May it be possible that your torrents where only partial (selective) downloads?

Besides if uT appended !ut than that may be a reason for BT considering that the files should be downloaded again.

In any case before you migrate or reinstall I would advise you to always first make a backup of all your downloaded torrent data (as well as the .torrent files and even better I'd include include the uT or BT .dat files)

Archived