uTorrent only downloading 2 at a time?

frozilla

i started to download many things and utorrent now will only download 2 at once.

i have the total number of active torrents and download torrents to 500, so it shoudl be able to do 40 at a time.

i also have all the number of connections and all that stuff way up high.

when one file finishes and is seeding, it wont start a new torrent unless i stop the seeding one.

once i do, it starts another one.

all 40 torrents have good seed numbers too.

I am having this exact same problem. I have been using utorrent for years and when I got the latest version suddenly it will only keep 2or3 active torrents at a time. Either uploading or downloading. Again this started with the latest version.

You can temporarily trick it into downloading more by pausing the ones downloading which will then find seeds in ones its not downloading. Then you can unpause and it will run more for a short period. But then it always goes back to 2 or 3 torrents.

This is frustrating.

Alright well, i had moved all my downloading torrents to vuze, because i couldnt figure it out, but i just opened all 40 of them into utorrent and it all seems to be working again. I'll just let vuze finish up and then I'm back to uTorrent, thank god.

If you're overloading your line because you've told it to upload at least 4 times faster than it really can...AND make 100's of connections on potentially marginal networking hardware and software...then ALL SORTS of bad things can happen, including the results you're getting. Worse, the problems can be intermittent, making troubleshooting insanity-inducing. :P

My conservative settings guide certainly doesn't recommend as many connections as uTorrent's built-in Speed Guide (CTRL+G), but it does allow slightly more active+downloading torrents for the upload speed range your connection falls into. You can up the number of global and per-torrent max connections as high as uTorrent's Speed Guide xx/768k if you want and have really good networking hardware and software. If that's not enough, raise active downloading torrents as high as active total torrents...since that doesn't reduce upload speed PER peer you're uploading to.

Well I haven't done anything to mine and I haven't downloaded any new program. But suddenly mine is working as well. The 2 at a time problem has been going on for more than a week and now suddenly it self corrects??? I am on this computer for 16hrs a day.. I would have noticed if it was something random.

Idlewild, Cox throttles AND disrupts BitTorrent traffic...at least some of the time.

Did the other torrents SAY they were queued but not started?

What uTorrent settings (those in Speed Guide CTRL+G plus any changed advanced settings) were you using when things went bad?

So I went to another torrent site today and connected to torrents from that site. Every one of them immediately connected. Only the ones which I started from a specific site (the one i usually use) seem to only do 2 at a time. Is there something that would cause this from the site itself?

As to all my speed settings they are still set at what i put them at originally. Since I have used utorrent for several years without problem with these settings I don't think that is where it stems from.

uTorrent is good at normally struggling along "ok" even with horribly bad speed settings -- this is why the EXTREMELY AWFUL YouTube uTorrent speedup settings are so popular. :(

...And almost anyone who we haven't discussed their speed settings with before has bad ones. :(

Archived