Someone please help! Im about to give up!

DanRyder87

Ok, First hello, I am new i have just signed up as i needed the help of someone with a brain..

Well, Where to start?.

Basically, I got my laptop 2 weeks ago brand new, And straight away downloaded Utorrent, I didn't really have any problems it was running nice and fast i was getting a movie in like 30 minutes.

It did however tend to jump sometimes, Like my movie file that was around 900mb would be downloading ast 500kB/s

with 10 seeds but 30 odd leechers, But a file that was 6.4 gig would only download at around 80-100 kB/s.

Im not sure if thats fast i dunno...

Then i did something silly, And followed a stupid video on yotube aparently making my utorrent faster and it didn't work and balls'ed up my Utorrent. So i uninstalled it via settings.dat old.dat ect, Then i re-installed it and now have default settings, HOWEVER now im lucky to get over 20-kB/s at all....And its acting weird...Like i have a file with 104 leechers but 3 seeders.....It started downloading at 5-6 kB/s then jumped to nearly 500! Yet another download that had practically NO leechers and 9 seeds all online..was downloading at 7kB/s even dropped to 0.2kB/s.

Now i have 10meg broadband, which is fairly good, I did a speed test and it stated i should be downloading 9,86.mbps.....If i should be downloading mbps why am i downloading at kB/s?

Now your going to ask if i have the ports on my router open..

I didn't think i needed to do it because when i installed Utorrent it gave me my port number and then checked to see if it was open and it was...

Also when i installed it, it asked me my connection type...And i got confused and left it as "current settings" does that matter?

Please help me, I dont even see the point downloading at 10kB/s but sometimes i ain't even geting that!

Thanks for helping me.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 9093 Kbps about 9.09 Mbps (tested with 12288 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1110 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 462 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 56 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/08/10 - 6:14am

D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-ONJLQ6P27

U-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-AWXZQ5DJL

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618) [!]

This is what i got from Testmy link...And i have no idea what it means, You have sent me links, I have followed, But I DONT UNDESTAND because im thick! Those links maybe helpful to someone who knows what they are on about, but not to me!!

Please help me!

Im really sorry, Where do i use this??? And if i have to "round it down" what do i round it down to?

Plu i ran the port checker on utorrent and it says my port is open and accepting bittorrent conections, Dos that mean my port isopen on my router?

And ijust checked max im getting i 30kB/s now on one of my dloads.

Now dropped to 8.9kB/s???

uTorrent, preferences, Bandwidth -- for ALL the settings except max active + max downloading torrents. (Those are set under Queueing.)

If 448 kilobit/sec upload settings seems "too much", reduce all the settings to match the next lower upload settings (384 kilobit/sec).

Switeck, Im so sorry for being an idiot, but thats what i am :( Is there any way you can email me or tell me on here/msn Exactly what my settings should be step by step? Again im so sorry but i don't understand half of this stuff. Like what you just said...To me made no sense at all.....

Please? I have left a download of 6.4 gig, Downloading all day and all night for 3 days and nights and its only 33% done...Something is really wrong

I have windos vista...Should i go back to Xp?

You said you had: "Upload Connection is:: 462 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)"

From my speed guide chart...

╔════════════════╦═══════════╦═══════════╦══════════╗

║CONNECTION TYPE ║ UPLOAD ║CONNECTIONS║MAX ACTIVE║

║(UPLOAD MAXIMUM)║Limit│Slots║ Torr│ MAX ║Torr│Down.║

╠════════════════╬═════╪═════╬═════╪═════╬════╪═════╣

║ 384 kbit/sec ║ 35│ 4║ 40│ 90║ 3│ 2║

║ 448 kbit/sec ║ 40│ 4║ 40│ 100║ 3│ 2║

For the 448 kbit/sec upload settings, this means 40 KB/sec max upload limit, 4 upload slots per torrent, 40 max connections per torrent, 100 global max connections, 3 Total Maximum Active Torrents, 2 Total Maximum Downloading Torrents.

Under uTorrent's (CTRL+P) Options, Preferences, Bandwidth...

You'd put in 40 (KB/sec) for max upload rate limiting.

Global maximum connections is further down (under Number of Connections) ...set that to 100.

Maximum number of connected peers (connections!) per torrent...set to 40. (This number should NEVER be greater than global max connections!)

Number of upload slots per torrent...set to 4. (This is how many people to upload to at once per torrent. If you're trying to upload to too many people at once, others see you as giving them less than 1 KB/sec...and their BitTorrent client may automatically refuse to upload back to you! Upload slots per torrent should NEVER be greater in number than max connections per torrent!)

Under Preferences, Queueing...

3 Total Maximum Active Torrents

2 Total Maximum Downloading Torrents. (This number should NEVER be more than max active torrents!)

Reducing to the 384 kbit/sec keeps almost all the above settings...only 2 things decrease:

Global max connections (from 100 to 90)

Upload speed max limit (from 40 KB/sec to 35 KB/sec)

• 4 months later...

Hello all, need help on setting up connection for this program.I use to be able to get 300 kB's for Download speed, and Upload speed 100 kB's. I use to be able to download a 700MB file in 45 mins. I don't get any of that now.

My tested results are as follows by speakeasy. DL Speed- 3930 Kb's roughly,(1st time 3669,2nd 3930, 3rd 3924, 4th 4431) My Upload Speed is roughly 730 Kb's(1st time 525, 2nd 728, 3rd 733, 4th 731)

I have a Linksys router BEFW11S4 v4 under these settings are as follows

Port Range Forwarding- App: utorr. Start to End- Port 38080 to 38080

Protocol: Both TCP and UDP

IP Address: 192.168.1.190 And enable box checked.

I have them ports trigged in Port triggering, and in UPnP Forwarding I have as follows.

App: Utorr. Port:38080 IP: 169 and enabled.

Firewall has it's exceptions for this port and program. I however can't find a firewall in the new Norton 2009 program.

Please help

Port triggering is generally very unreliable.

UPnP often doesn't even work on many crap consumer routers.

Try 700 or 768 kilobit/sec upload settings from 2nd link in my signature.

Have you tried completely uninstalling Norton 2009? (To test if it's blocking uTorrent.)

1st link in my signature for further troubleshooting...

Thanks for the quick reply, I haven't got an answer on any forums in general in like 2 months. Thats odd right... Lol I was about to think that the internet world was gone. Anyways thanks, and I will try the Norton suggestion. And set to the setting you have said with the 700. Thanks and merry christmas

i have a problem. my speed is very slow always stuck at 8kb/s- 13kb/s. and the color of the downloading box is always red.i have a buffalo router, and my speed is 65mbps.i used default settings, i think it is the best because i used this settings before and it is great, sometimes it runs at 1mbps.but when i started to moved to a new house my torrent start to download very slow.but my internet connection is same to the old internet connection.please help. thanks in advance.

Hi, this is the result i got from testmy.net.

Your connection is: 338 Kbps or 0.3 Mbps

You uploaded at: 41 kB/s

You are running: 6 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 24.98 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:Guest CompID:8183987039210

Test Time:: 2009/12/29 - 8:32am

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.16) Gecko/2009120208 Firefox/3.0.16 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Test ID: NLTW70A54 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 65.69 % faster than the average for host (233.206)

This was tested from a 1496 kB file and took 36.29 seconds to complete

i have followed your guide from the recommended utorrent settings. still i receive crap download and upload speeds. my internet speed is an 8megabit connection, which normally tends to be around 4-5megabits (tested on speedtest.net)

When connected to downloads there are quite a lot of seeds however the number of peers i am connected to seem never to go above 3-5, which is where i think the problem lies? and download speeds are shocking (below 5kB/s ). maybe its because i'm from the U.K and time differences? i seem to get good download speeds at like 3-4am UK time tends to be around (300kB/s) on good days.

Anyone known of anything i can do about that?

p.s. i have bitdefender as my anti-virus with the firewall disabled and sygate as my normal firewall. windows xp service pack 3.

Any help would be greatful, thanks.

Reported seeds and peers may differ from actual seeds and peers.

They may be double-counted.

Peers may already have become seeds. (especially on private trackers!)

They may be hopelessly firewalled and unreachable.

Your internet connection only seems to be about 320 kilobit/second upload as far as uTorrent is concerned. Having a fast download doesn't mean you can take advantage of it, at least on torrents with few seeds and many greedy peers.

Your ISP may disrupt and throttle BitTorrent traffic most of the day and only relax those rules somewhat between 1 and 8 AM.

Encryption-wise, you might get better results doing this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=46778

or this:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58714

(NOTE: Those settings were a special case for a wireless ISP, so understand them before you try them!)

...Barring that, probably only a change to a less hostile ISP will help.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived