uTP

jch

You couldn't possibly be more unhelpful, could you?

I'll try to be more precise:

1. How does my BitTorrent implementation ensure that µTorrent never attempts to contact me over µTP?

2. If (1) is not possible, I'm probably going to receive µTP datagrams on my DHT port. How do I reply to those datagrams so that µTorrent contacts me over TCP straight away without waiting for a timeout?

--Juliusz

[20:04:14] <&alus> it tries both at the same time

[20:04:19] <&alus> and keeps uTP if both exist

[20:05:46] <&alus> connecting doesn't eat significant bandwidth

So I guess you can't prevent it, but you don't need to do anything specific either -- just ignore the uTP packets, and µTorrent will continue to use TCP.

> So I guess you can't prevent it, but you don't need to do anything specific either -- just ignore the uTP packets, and µTorrent will continue to use TCP.

Shouldn't µTorrent define a "µTP not handled, please contact me using TCP" message, so that a non-µTP peer can send this to avoid having to wait for µTorrent's timeout?

--Juliusz

Maybe I'm not understanding your question... but why would you need to wait for a timeout in the first place? They are attempted simultaneously, as in simultaneously. If the client supports TCP only, then all it needs to do is accept the TCP connection, and ignore the uTP connection attempt -- no waiting involved, because they both come around the same time anyway. µTorrent will accept the TCP connection just the same.

If a uTP-supporting client receives/establishes the TCP first, and receives the uTP attempt later (odd latency issue or whatever), it can still respond to the uTP connection, and the TCP connection gets "upgraded" to uTP (the already-established TCP connection can be dropped, and uTP can be used instead).

Archived