Magnet DL Manual Directory Assignment?

jeffool

When downloading from torrents I enjoy being able to manually point the downloaded file directly to the directory where it'll no doubt stay. With the Magnet URI becoming more uniform, would it be possible to copy some of the code over to allow the same option for Magnet downloads?

I figure this is forthcoming anyway, I just more or less wanted you guys to know it was of interest to users. ;)

Also this gives me a chance to say: thanks for the years support of an awesome piece of software!

Thirded. Different torrents I put on different drives. I don't want larger ones suddenly showing up on smaller fuller drives. And sometimes I only want one or two files out of a larger multipak torrent.

If the user has the options enabled to Show the Contents of the torrent when its added, once the contents is known, the client should pause and flash the Taskbar button to ask the user where to put it and what parts to get.

Yes indeed the use of the magnet URI links has not been implemented in analogy to the processing of the .torrent metadata files:

1) uT does not save the retrieved .torrent file in the defined preferences directories ("Location of .torrents" settings)

2) uT does not save the downloaded data in the defined preferences directories ("Location of Downloaded Files" settings) [except if the "Put new download in" is checked]

3) uT does not show the add new torrent dialog window (asking for what files should be downloaded and where they should be saved etc.) even if in preferences--> UI Settings --> When adding torrents "Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent" is checked and "Put new download in" is unchecked.

Request: By using magnet URI links uT should save the retrieved .torrent file in the defined directory under "Location of .torrents" and as Nidonocu proposed once the .torrent file has been retrieved from the swarm uT should open the 'add new torrent dialog window' as it would when a .torrent is being loaded and wait for a any user input.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any progress in the Manual choose of folder? I'm asking, because our tracker will soon became tracker-less and we want to use the Magnet links as the solution of our situation and the feature of Manual choose of folder for Magnet link will help us a lot.

My second question is: What does the progress bar in the dialog window of Add new torrent from URL in current version of uTorrent? It looks like it should does something, but I'm not getting what it does?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Its 2.0.2 already and they still haven't done anything, yet doing other improvements that an average user doesn't need! Wake up utorrent devs!! This is an open forum and TPB already uses magnet links and this feature is very imprtant to implement.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that I'm not the only one person who want and need this feature to be implement into μTorrent. As Rohagymeg wrote the Magnet links are using by The Pirate Bay and by many other popular trackers for more than "few weeks" and I think, that μTorrent should follow this way of sharing and be more user-friendly to its user who using magnet links.

Agreed. It seems most of the people are doing fine with regular torrent files, so they don't even care or even know about magnet links even though there are torrents that can only be downloaded through magnet links(some torrents on torrentz for example). But it seems that it's only a few lines of codes to implement, because the add new torrent dialog is already here, they would just need to implement "after the torrent file was successfully downloaded through dht from other peers, open it, so the dialog comes in"

A forum is for expressing opinions. Although they are like assholes(opinions), they still need to be said. So excuse me for being active in the fr board.

I don't find the appropriate support on this forum. This is sad, because for such a good program as utorrent, this is crucial. I understand that this program is freeware, but being closed source and only a few devs are working on it makes this program less valuable. If I wanted an alternative client I bet it wouldn't be so small, would have bugs, less features etc. For a world wide client used by tens of millions of people at this moment it's seems so stupid not to support this very basic idea for user friendliness. Just tell me that you don't give a damn and won't do a thing we request, and you can close this board because it's unnessessary.

Let's be creative. I tried to create an example of how I imagined this form should looks like.

Unlike the large form for add new torrent from file I changed the checkbox "Skip hash check" to "Enable DHT" because I think this option is more important in case when is DHT disable as default for all torrents.

utorrentmagnetlinkadd.png

I hope that this little efforts will help to solve this feature request a little bit quicker for greater satisfaction of all users who wants and needs it.

• 2 weeks later...

To any responsible person of/for the developers: ;)

Just say Yes/No on simply Question: Have you started with implementation? Or try to say when will you start to do something with this biblical demanded feature? In the world there is a lot of people who want and need this feature.

According to the newest version of uTorrent 2.2 Beta (21002) bug with the "Show a windows that displays the files inside the torrent" it looks likes that you want to remove totally the option to choose directory individually for every torrent before it start to downloading. Just kidding :D

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to do it. The current plan is to get it done sometime during 2.2's development. There's been a lot of GUI work that's been done in 2.2 and we're slowly trudging through both old and new requests.

More than likely, we're just going to show a (mostly empty) add torrent dialog. Speaking of which, we've killed off the secondary checkbox that confuses people when they turn on the add torrent dialog in the most recent build.

I copied my message from page 2 so this is more in sight:

Try something like a dialog after magnet is get asking"when metadata is got, show up add new torrent dialog?". If clicked yes, when ut downloads the torrent file, it will show that add new torrent window and wait for user feedback.

If clicked no, then it should open the new window (you'll make in 2.2) to ask where to download the torrent. And if you understood me, it would also be useful to make a preference for default action in the preferences window(and a checkbox on the asking dialog: "Always do this"). This is my best attempt at suggesting a useful idea. Let me know if you don't understand or don't agree with what said.

EDIT: And the said asking dialog should also let the user know that choosing "no" will not let him to pick some files, and other actions due to the nature of dht. And when choosing yes you will need to wait some minutes until the add new torrent window shows.

EDIT2: And what I said, when clicked yes, the download bar should write "Waiting for meta information to srart the download"

Archived