Force Re-check

brock01

i had a torrent that got done, i removed the torrent while keeping the files, i got the torrent again to help seed, and i force a recheck and it says im missing files (400mb) but when i go to the folder, its showing i have all of them

anyone know whats going on?

thanks in adavance : )

• 3 weeks later...

i'm having a similar problem...i'm in the process of uploading a huge folder (2.2 gb), and i had to shut down my computer, and when i turned it back on 10 minutes later and started utorrent again, it only re-checked 99.7% of the folder, even though the location is the same, and the files are definetly complete, as i am the one uploading it...a couple of weird things have happened, like the first time i re-checked, i got 99.8%, i re-checked again right away, and got 99.7%, and when i checked in files tab there were actually files that had just been 100% and are now showing 0 %...and if i left click and open any of the files that says 0 %, i can still access it...i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but, with the exception of 2 mp3s that were at 85% each, all the other files that went unchecked were jpgs of album artwork...any ideas?

i'm still trying to fix mine, and i have now noticed that there are 23 files that are not being checked as 100%...2 are mp3s which are at 89.6% and 84.7% done, even though i have 100% of the file since i am the one who uploaded it...18 are jpegs of album artwork that are not being rechecked, even though i have the whole file...the other 3 are thumbs.db files that i cannot open, but i also cannot see them in my folder, and i don't remember them being there when i made the torrent, but they are in the list in the files tab...is it possible they were invisible files that were there when i made my torrent, but when i shut down and restarted they disappeared from my hard drive, and thus utorrent cannot find these files and is only rechecking 99.7%...however, this still would not explain why the other jpegs and mp3s are not rechecking, as i can see them in the folder...any help will be much appreciated.

Note that even changing or adding a single byte to those mp3 file would invalidate the file. For example, running MP3Gain on it would, as well as ID3-tagging or chaning existing tags, etc.

If you really wanna know what happened, make a copy of your current data, let the ut redownload the missing/wrong files, and do a binary compare between the new files and your previous data.

none of the data for the jpegs and the mp3s is missing, as i can still access all the files, with the exception of the thumbs.db files, which i read somewhere changes everytime you access a folder, as it stores a new file in the cache of the thumbs in that folder...i guess when i restarted my computer part way through my upload, these invisible thumbs.db files changed, and so it would not continue the upload, but it still does not explain why it won't recheck the mp3s and jpegs, because they still exist on my hard drive, same location, same file size, same tags, i can access them, they haven't changed at all...another thing i noticed is that all the files that weren't rechecked were together in sequence in the files tab, meaning it starts on the last mp3 of one folder, continues through the next folder of jpeg artwork, and finishs after the 1st mp3 of the next folder, as if the recheck was going fine, then skipped 0.3% of them, and then continued fine...i was uploading 3 torrents at the time windows update restarted my computer, and the other 2 rechecked and resumed upon restart, i don't know why this one didn't...again, i didn't change anything, all the files are the same, except i don't know about thumbs.db because they are invisible anyways, but if the restart altered them for this torrent, shouldn't it have altered them for the other torrents as well?, but i have had no problems with them...this is pretty frustrating, as it looks like i will have to simply delete the torrent and begin uploading it again, as i cannot download the 'missing' files because, as the person uploading the torrent, i am the only one who has the files...i just don't understand why a restart would alter these files, or how for that matter

the other 3 are thumbs.db files that i cannot open, but i also cannot see them in my folder, and i don't remember them being there when i made the torrent,

thumbs.db files are wee little files there for Windows so that when you access folders and such it can check what's in the folder (things like folders with pictures in them will display those pictures on the folder below it, see the default pictures in your My Pictures folder).

Anyway, they are not to be worried about what has happened is probably accidental on your part, here's what I think may have happened:

*dream sequence*

You created your torrent.

You started uploading your torrent.

You changed something about that entire album which could have involved it changing something in the .jpg files, perhaps the album name or maybe even that album had the artist in all caps and you decided to change it. You can do thise quite easily in WMP, iTunes or whatever you use without realizing the consequences of your actions.

uTorrent was not, at that time, uploading that part of of those files so no harm was done.

You restart your computer, uTorrent checks files in a more simple way than a full recheck as to not tax the CPU everytime you restart it. It found that those files were edited since the torrent was made. It forced a full recheck and the exact peices (the id3 tags, wherever they're stored on an mp3) that were different and told uTorrent to say those peices were no longer what they should be, based on a hash check. Then, because those peices are part of more than 1 file it could have been your thumbs.db files and pictures that were also part of those peices and thus the file is still there but it is not what the torrent file thinks it should be and thus will be overwritten once the seed (which doesn't exist) sends the correct information to you.

*end dream sequence*

Somehow you changed those files inadvertantly and uTorrent can't check the files constantly (that would be hard on the harddrive/ram/cpu) so it happened when it opened again which is when you restarted. Of course I could've misinterpeted something, if so tell me and I'll try and fix up this story.

that doesn't sound like a dream i had, but it would go a long way in explaining what went wrong...i don't recall changing anything about the files, as when i upload i usually make a conscious effort not to go near the files in case something like this happens, but the fact remains that there must have been a change, and now there is nothing i can do except make a new torrent and upload it, as nobody has the originals except me, and by the sounds of things the files have changed in such a way that i cannot restore them to match the torrent...if there is a way to fix the problem (replace the missing files with the new files into the original torrent) without having to upload a new torrent (and wasting the time of people who have already downloaded part of the files) i'm all ears, but i've already deleted the old torrent and started to upload a new one...regardless, thanks to everyone for the help.

cheers,

- rvw

Nope, all you can do is remake the torrent. It doesn't matter if you can still access the files, because ANY file change will screw the torrent. All you can do is make sure you don't modify the files. Make sure you don't use WMP or anything, that auto-modifies your MP3s.

Archived