New SSD means uTorrent 2.0 freezes?

Pixel Eater

I've just upgraded from a 150 GB Raptor to a 40 GB Intel X25-V for an OS drive (dedicated to torrents). I reinstalled Windows 7 and, as I have done a few times now, copied the "uTorrent" folder over in AppData post install/run.

At first the freeze was instant. Giving it an hour to maybe melt, but with no change, showed the problem to be terminal. I then loaded a 4 day old backup of uTorrent and the freeze happened not instantly, but in 5 minutes. Finally I loaded up the old OS and got a copy where Scheduler had all 1,768 torrents queued and this loaded up without incident. Still, a freeze 5 minutes after disabling Scheduler.

Right now I have my suspicions down to the only 3 torrents that were actively downloading at the time of moving. One is a 12 GB file. I made a save where they are properly stopped. So far, no freeze. Then finally I "Force re-check"ed that torrent and started it. Another freeze. What's up with that?

Note: The 12 GB torrent was not present on the 4 day old backup. That means one of the other two smaller downloads triggered that freeze. Also please note all my torrent files utilize a separate 2 TB drive which has been in place the whole time. The nature of this freeze and hard shut down means there is no crash file :/

Edit 2: Deleted all 3 files. uTorrent ran for nearly an hour, then froze again.

It is the whole OS. I have been trying to figure this out all day. It happens with no detectable rise in cpu or ram activity and it's just instant. No moving the mouse, etc. Also for the past 7 hours I've tested the OS without running uTorrent. Rock solid, I think. I am at a loss.

• 4 weeks later...

No. Actually it turned out to be nothing short of a network driver. I had always used Windows' generic. Turns out that installing the Atheros L1 driver completely solved this problem. I've had an extremely stable setup since, and would sincerely say my torrenting with Windows 7 has blown past experiences out of the water. The rule of thumb with SSDs is that if any little thing is out of place in their environment, they may react to it. Incorrectly voltaged RAM, sometimes anything less than the first SATA port, these things are sensitive. Would have never happened on a standard hdd. Again, now that I've got it figured out, it's running like clockwork. Fast and more stable than ever.

Conclusion: I think you can trust Intel SSDs to work with Windows 7 and uTorrent, as long as you know your way around your hardware.

Archived