BTGuard - Does it provide p2p privacy from everyone (Including ISP's)

doctorarcane

BTGuard - Does it provide p2p privacy from everyone (Including ISP's)

Newbie asking....

Does it work?

Is it a scam?

How can I tell if it's working?

Which settings I need to verify are configured correctly?

What are the correct settings (windows XP & utorrent)?

Somebody out there must know these answers.

Please help a lot of us without extensive p2p knowledge to understand.

Thanks!

the proxy settings didn't "stick" when I opened utorrent after reboot.

when i re-installed BTGuard i got this message as it finished installing:

uTorrent

This program is freeware. If you paid for it, you have been scammed, and you should get a refund.

This implies I should have just used the freeware.

what freeware????

please help me here

Well, since BTGuard is a bittorrent oriented program, maybe it displays a warning about your torrent programs or something? Also, why ask here of all places. If it's a BTGuard message, you should ask them. You paid them, they should answer questions you have regarding a message their program displays.

It's (or should be) common knowledge that a number of sites trick users into paying when downloading Vuze or uTorrent, so yeah, if you paid for these, you've been scammed, obviously.

http://btguard.com/install

BTGuard has an "easy install" option which installs a pre-configured version of µTorrent. The popup you get is about µTorrent. But you didn't pay for µTorrent but for the service.

Although afaik they aren't allowed to redistribute the µTorrent client like this* they aren't selling you the µTorrent software, they sell you the BTGuard service and afterwards provide you with a pre-configured version of the free µTorrent application purely for your convenience**.

Although the popup you get is about µTorrent you aren't actually paying for µTorrent** so it isn't a scam.

Please note that BTGuard comes with µTorrent 1.8.2 and has "Check for updates automatically" disabled. Since this version of the µTorrent client is severely outdated it is recommended to update by enabling Options -> Preferences -> General -> Privacy -> Check for updates automatically.

When you get a popup to update to the latest build simply press Yes and wait a minute for µTorrent to download and restart.

* They are breaking the law. Not you, and neither are you accountable in any way. So you don't need to worry about this.

** Their "Advanced Install" instructs you to download µTorrent yourself and then provides you instructions to set it up, the "Easy Install" method is merely a free alternative.

• 4 months later...

I've used BTG for about 3 yrs. and never had a problem until last week - an ISP threat and service cutoff. Maybe they found a way around it...or was it just complete B.S. the whole time while they take your money. Won't respond to emails either. Was using version 2.0 with encryption and socks5. You're still rolling the dice with them as far as I'm concerned. Their claims of "100% safe, 100% anonymous" are not true. It would be worth the $7/month if, and I say IF...it worked.

As far as I know, a proxy won't proxy uTorrent's DHT, Local Peer Discovery, Resolve IPs, Teredo/IPv6 or uTP connections -- which all use UDP packets (or possibly multicast in the case of Local Peer Discovery).

These will all go through your regular line "in the clear" and show your real internet ip.

Only a VPN might route them properly...though in the case of Teredo/IPv6, your IPv4 address may still be discoverable.

• 4 months later...

Just in case anyone still reads this, the older uTorrent clients had some leaks with proxies. The newest uTorrent client supposedly has these leaks fixed. If you look at the proxy settings for uTorrent on the older, then the newest version, you will see a whole new set of settings for your proxy server. This was a bug/leak in uTorrent which should be fixed now. I also use Blocklist Manager a free program from Bluetack along with BTGuard's proxy service. Two lines of protection. Hopefully with these two lines of protection & the uTorrent update for socks 5 proxy services everyone will be properly protected.

IMHO

isepiq:cool:

G'day, as I read the BTGuard page, there are 2 alternatives (and price) offered. One is to hide your uTorrent traffic and the other to hide all traffic. I've just reinstalled the preconfigured install and it installed uTorrent version 2.0.3. not the earlier version mentioned above. The links on the bottom of the uTorrent page to the beta versions only takes me to Ver2.2, does anyone have a proper link to the betas?

• 7 months later...

Archived