why cant connect to all available seeders?

speedoom

curiosity? slow dl's? Personally I am curious about that, although even if i knew the answer it probably wouldn't change my dl speeds.

Either way if you dont like people asking questions maybe you should go find an island and start your own little communist country.

It is speed. People think, the more people I'm connected to, the faster downloading gets. Especially in relation to seeders, since you don't need to upload to them. Also, the more seeds and peers you connect to, the more chance you have in running into a very fast one. I'm always hoping to run into some swedish seeders, haven't seen many other which can up 100-200KB/s.

Honestly, though, when there are like only 2 seeds and 8 peers detected (via DHT, because the tracker is down again) on a torrent, and you are connected to only two of the peers (none of the seeds), and you are downloading at all of 2 kilobytes per second, it is hard to sell yourself into the idea that being able to connect to all those others won't help somehow...

Yes, this has happened to me, many, many times...

As for the cycling, I never quite caught uT doing that. I tend to see it connect, get half its connections rejected, then the occasional remote connection...

I know it doesn't avoid it, but maybe if the number of people connected is really small, maybe a new feature marked "Minimum number of connections per torrent" will be nice. Make a hard limit so it can't be more than say half or even a third of your "maximum connections per torrent". Hell, even a fifth would be worth shooting for (about 20 for me).

I'm not saying do BitComet's 10 Cycles per Second thing, but perhaps a few times every hour (which shouldn't be that much of a bother), say when the DHT system gets updated, and only if the number of connections you have is pathetically small. Who knows, maybe third knock's the charm.

If there's that small number of people connected to the swarm, then µTorrent will already try to connect to all of them. If µTorrent isn't successful, then as Firon said, they're probably unconnectable for whatever reason (slots taken, badly configured, whatever). You can't enforce a hard minimum limit for connections because of unconnectability, no matter how small the swarm is.

Archived