4. go into the folder created

ls

cd utorrent-server-3.0-21701

5. run the program

./utserver

6. open a website to the machine on port 8080

http://localhost:8080

(might be different for some)

Those commands are all run in terminal, and all commands might be different for you guys.

• 2 months later...

Default is admin and blank. Then you can set it to what you want in the options. The latest version has an option to specify the admin username and password to start with which may be more convenient for you. Once you are connected, you should stay authenticated even if you change the username and password, but make sure you remember it for next time ;) Obviously it can always be reset to the default but easiest not to have to.

You may wish to place the binary and the various config files, torrent files, download files, in different directories and possibly on different partitions, but that can be easier once you get connected.

The command line is very limited. There is a config file, a log file, and a settings path. And the admin username and password in the latest release? Everything else is controlled either through the webui or directly in the configuration file. You can also control things though the web API using any client you can get to talk to it, and a few things by strategically placing certain named files.

Read the documentation provided in the downloaded zip file.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried the above instructions and in my firefox tyoed this address

http://192.168.1.33:8080/gui/

whats the used id and password for admin

and finally got this mesaage please please help me out

The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details.

and if if click on that link nothing happens this is my address http://192.168.1.33:8080/gui/downloading_webui

Default is admin and blank. Then you can set it to what you want in the options. The latest version has an option to specify the admin username and password to start with which may be more convenient for you. Once you are connected, you should stay authenticated even if you change the username and password, but make sure you remember it for next time ;) Obviously it can always be reset to the default but easiest not to have to.

You may wish to place the binary and the various config files, torrent files, download files, in different directories and possibly on different partitions, but that can be easier once you get connected.

i tried the above instructions and in my firefox tyoed this address

http://192.168.1.33:8080/gui/

and finally got this mesaage please please help me out

The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details.

and if if click on that link nothing happens this is my address http://192.168.1.33:8080/gui/downloading_webui

I ran into that error yesterday when I was trying to "clean up" the install directory. I wanted all the settings to go in ~/utserver/conf/ so I did the following:

mkdir conf
./utserver -settingspath conf

and immediately got hit with your error. It finally hit me to try copying (or moving, or even symlinking) the webui.zip file into conf - and THEN it worked as expected.

If you DIDN'T use the -settingspath command line argument, then make sure webui.zip is in the same directory as utserver.

Hope this helps :)

fianlly installed it but i hav tested my speed at speedtest.net

and my downloading speed is 2.1 kpbs :(

but download provided by isp is 90 kbps please help me to increase download speed

glad to hear you got it running. As far as internet speed and transfers go though, I think you may have better luck asking for help with that in the Troubleshooting" forums:

Linux Troubleshooting

Windows Troubleshooting

While you're using the Linux "server" version of uT, there's simply way more activity in the Windows troubleshooting forum. Plus, slow transfer speeds usually aren't OS specific.

Plus, I believe the FAQ may be of some help too, if you haven't checked it out already.

good luck!

How best to do this can depend on your distro and other circumstances.

Google is your friend in this case.

give me specific answer i am beginner in Linux

First you shouldn't have to install utserver after a reboot, if you installed the software correctly it is all in one folder called utorrent-server-v3_0. If you mean restart utserver that is understandable since it shuts down upon a reboot.

So, I take it you didn't click on the Google link, which has all kinds of search results someone already found for you, explaining how to start a program when Linux starts? Some pretty specific answers there.

WLS

P. S. Thanks Lord Alderaan for that link. I may have use of it in the near future.

I have the following line in my Openbox autostart.sh:

/opt/utorrent/utserver -settingspath ~/.utorrent/ -configfile ~/.utorrent/utserver.conf -logfile ~
/.utorrent/utserver.log &

Nothing fancy, but it starts uTorrent when the machine is turned on and that is enough. The command line options may not be necessary if you just leave everything in one directory, but I have things scattered about to keep my "settings" and "programs" separate.

The most recent build supports running in "daemon" mode so you can start it from almost anywhere and it will continue to run even if the parent dies. If you want to get fancy, people have posted scripts to run utserver as a daemon with start, stop, ec. commands.

@jayesh: Doing things like this in Linux takes a bit of a willingness to do some research and figure things out a bit for yourself.

As I said, how to exactly do this depends on your distro and circumstances (like where did you extract µtorrent server, what command line options you want, etc).

I couldn't provide exact steps because I don't have all that info and even if I did I might not know myself and I'd have to google and copy and paste the results. Thus it's better you google yourself and learn more about the workings of Linux along the way to boot.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

• 7 months later...

I thought it would be something like that. However:

daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop/utorrent-server-v3_0$ ./utserver
bash: ./utserver: No such file or directory

wtf?

and if I run it as superuser,

daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop/utorrent-server-v3_0$ sudo ./utserver
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop/utorrent-server-v3_0$

(no feedback)

Double wtfs?

was I doing something wrong? did I need to place the directory in a special directory or something? or is this just a bug with bash? (i'm not experienced with csh or tcsh, so i couldn't try)

Yeah, as a Windows user, all this running around to do the simplest thing in Linux is getting real old real fast.

Look, this should be simple... I am a software engineer with 30 years of programming experience, on everything from embedded systems to enterprise apps. I was able to set up a Kubuntu box s a media server... I have stuff like SABNZBD+, SickBeard, TVMobili and Remote Desktop working pretty well.

I still can't make heads or tails on manually doing simple crap... as in installing uTorrent to work the way I want:

1. Install in a standard Linux fashion

2. Have a basic config file in place and web server port modified (8080 conflicts with another server)

3. Have utorrent server run automatically on system start up.

Additionally - and I expect this will be simple to set once the web server is running - I'll be setting up a proxy service.

I just want this to run on a relatively unattended server, and play nicely with all of the other similar apps you'd expect on a media server. I'd also like to get my torrents off of my Windows box and onto a centralized location. I appreciate the hard work the uTorrent team has put into this, and especially appreciate that we now have an x64 Linux binary... it would just be nice if we had a simple, THOROUGH tutorial on installing and configuring this on a system. I'm guessing this is as simple as making a folder for the binary, the configuration file, and some sort of script (for the startup part?)

Ben, what's with the attitude? You don't know how to do something and somehow that's everyone's fault except yours? Think you're an expert, but don't even know how to install alpha software on your own machine? Want someone to come and hold you hand? Maybe wipe the tears away?

Idiotbad, the symptoms you describe suggest that you are running the 32-bit uTorrent on a 64-bit machine without the correct libraries installed. If that is the case then you should install the ia32-libs package. If that isn't the case, then post the ls -l output for the utorrent-server-v3_0 directory, then standby for more obscure diagnostics ...

Archived