Help please! I can't download anything...

Loz

Whenever I try to download anything, this is what happens:

13/04/2006 15:36:04 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

13/04/2006 15:37:04 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

13/04/2006 15:38:04 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

13/04/2006 15:39:05 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

13/04/2006 15:40:05 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

Nope, the same thing is happening again:

14/04/2006 11:53:27 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

14/04/2006 11:54:27 - Problem connecting to tracker - (11001, 'getaddrinfo failed')

Okay, found this on the Youceff forum:

Problem connecting to tracker - (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')

That means that your client can't get a connection to the Tracker's IP address.

Here are some possible reasons:

1. Your client can't get through your firewall.

2. Your ISP's DNS server is down.

3. Your ISP's DNS server can't resolve the tracker's domain to an IP address.

4. The Tracker is down and isn't responding.Problem connecting to tracker - (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')

We already ruled #4 out.

#1: Can be tested if you try uninstalling your firewall(if any)

#2-3: Sounds like you'll have to ask your ISP directly

Woohoo! It's working, thank you. :] Sorry I've been a bit slow, I'm not that technical, lol.

I just have one more question...can I replace Norton with any other firewalls that won't stop torrents from working?

I've never really felt the need to have a software firewall when pretty much all routers have a hardware one installed from the beginning.

so you don't really need one if you have a router with a hardware firewall.

Other then that, Look 'n' Stop might be a good suggestion

LOZ

If you have XP you can enable the build in "Firewall"!

This is absolutely enough from a technical standpoint (if your point for using a softwarefirewall is to be protected against "hackers" or to prevent installed software from phoning home)

Real Hackers are laughing over norton stuff and phoning home can NOT be prevented!

All that Softwarefirewalls are doing is causing trouble with ligitimate traffic as you have now experienced for yourself.

Nice lecture 'bout firewalls from german "hackers" at a german university:

http://copton.net/Personal_Firewalls/ccc-vortrag-en.html

Archived