Upload keeps getting max'd out without permission...Help plz

Druid

I set my max global upload speed to 12K. And when I look down the list for upload speeds, things add up to about 12k max. But when I check my LAN properties window. It show's bytes sent at about 35K/s...maxing out my upload speeds, resulting in my entire network being bogged up and slow.

I thought it might be a virus, spyware...etc but after 3 online virus scans, adaware, and a full scan on each computer on the network. It didn't find anything but a few spyware items. And the speeds were still getting max'd. I then closed uTorrent and then of course, my network upload speed dies down from 35k/s to about 2K/s...I reopen uTorrent, and it jumps right back up. Close it and it's back to 2K...

This problem just started happening about a week ago. I don't know what happened, I didn't edit any of the configuration so I can't see why it's doing this. The number's just don't add up.

Can anyone help figure out why extra upload bandwidth is being used when my max upload is at 12K and according to the torrent's, 12K is what I'm uploading...? Thanks

I haven't messed with DHT, it's always on and never caused this before. And I set it to 12 because we have 5 computers in the house and with more than 1 person that uses torrents, as well as other p2p programs, that's about fair I guess for one computer. And I'm getting the info right now, no one else is awake, so no, no one else is eating up the bandwidth currently. I've narrowed it down to my computer and uTorrent :) Every other computer is off.

I usually download anywhere from 3-4 items max at any given time, with 1 or 2 items seeding.

I did notice when I remove everything and leave uTorrent open, the bandwidth isn't getting eaten up. So I guess that narrows it down a little if that helps.

Only thing I have changed in the last week is I upgraded from sp1 to service pack 2 for windows xp. Incase that matters and helps figure out whats going on.(yes i know, slacker on updates)

Have you patched Win XP SP2 so you don't have the 10 half-open connection limit?

Is Scheduler in µTorrent disabled?

Is alternate upload speed while not downloading (while only seeding) set differently?

What's your max connections allowed in µTorrent overall and per torrent?

I'd worry that something is seriously wrong if while µTorrent is not running that you're still seeing about 2 KB/sec in uploads. Run TCP View (from www.sysinternals.com), find out where they're connecting to...you may have something all your AV and anti-spyware software missed. It could even be one of Microsoft's new "phone home" features.

Process Viewer also from www.sysinternals.com might flush out WHAT is making all the connections.

it doesnt get maxed out, it's just that utorrent doesnt make a good job when limiting uploads, I dont use DHT (unless needed), i have tcpip.sys patched to 75 and using 25 max halfopen connections in utorrent, however the limiting job is just not good, i have 256/128 and use bittornado to seed since i can limit upload to 10kB/s and be able to download HTTP/FTP full speed, when in utorrent i have to limit to 8 or 7kB/s to do so, it can't be overheads due to peer connection since when i seed i put both to be max peers = 20, upload slots 4, and only utorrent kills my speed

the only way utorrent doesnt seem to affect download speed is downloading with utorrent as well

"it can't be overheads due to peer connection since when i seed i put both to be max peers = 20, upload slots 4, and only utorrent kills my speed"

Actually, if you're only uploading at 7 or 8 KB/sec, it can. Even with 1 torrent, the best-case scenario is you're uploading about 2 KB/sec for each upload slot. If you have more than 1 torrent seeding, then that number quickly drops hopelessly low and each upload slot is more overhead than data transfer. Data transfers are most efficient when the largest packesize (typically 1500 bytes) can be used. Problem is, if each upload slot is slower than 1 KB/sec, then that's less than 1 packet per second per upload slot. When that happens, pingtimes in a game or web surfing would likely be horrible.

Best suggestion I can give is lower upload slots to 2 or 3. Don't seed more than 2 torrents at once. And if you can, upload slightly faster. I use Scheduler to lower my upload speeds during times I'm likely surfing the internet and also use a faster seeding-only upload speed for when all my torrents are only seeding.

Under best conditions, I can upload at 42 KB/sec...but that's only during the dead of night and only if I don't mind some web surfing slowdowns.

Yes, they don't have to be max size. But they're most efficient when max size.

It'd be the same as sending a 3-page letter. You could do it with 3 separate envelopes and 3 stamps...or 1 envelope and 1 stamp.

Even in terms of latency, packing as much data into a packet makes the best sense. (assuming "smart" QoS is at work) Shrinking the packetsize down just means it takes more bandwidth to get the same amount out...ergo, at the same file upload speed everything else suffers more with small packets than large.

I disabled DHT and it seemed to help a bit. Still unsure why though, I use to download 8-9 torrents at a time on occasion and never had this problem. Seems better but not the full effect I want. Even with just 1 file downloading and no seeding, upload speeds are still at like 25k.

And about me still having 2k upload with uTorrent closed, it's about right. We have 5 computers going and the usual thing's going on is, someone is playing WoW, almost everyone is chatting on msn or has it open, and playing warcraft 3. Probably some spyware somewhere in there, although I scan it with multiple clients often, but it's not really disrupting much(bandwidthwise).

Have you tried looking around with HijackThis!, Process Viewer, and TCP View?

They are good for finding unknowns.

Antivirus and antispyware are almost always looking for specific viruses and trojans...most anything new that comes along (or even slightly modified old!) is missed.

Yes, I have scanned with quit a few adware/spyware programs as well as a few online virus scanners. The fact that when uTorrent is actively downloading and causes the upload to max out is pretty much the cause. I just need to find out why and how to fix it.

Have you patched Win XP SP2 so you don't have the 10 half-open connection limit?

How do I patch this?

And no Scheduler isn't on. No alternate upload options...

Also, is it process explorer or viewer?

Druid search the forum for the URL for the patcher. some .de domain!

But you don't need this patch essentialy!

Just stop having so many torrents active at once.

If your UL line is not able to handle so many active torrents at once it is natural to getting shit results in DLing.

I can see right now a Moron that doesn't get this rule in my µtorrent.

Having 2 mp3 torrents seeding in forced witrh high bandwith allocation. Thsi british moron starts Dling one of them getting 6 KB from my max 17. few minutes later his IP pops up on the second one and now he is getting <1-2KB.

xxx-xxx-x-xxx.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com:xxxxx THIS is a Moron!

Yes, I have scanned with quit a few adware/spyware programs as well as a few online virus scanners.

Also, is it process explorer or viewer?

There's no guarentee that what's causing the 'background' 2 KB/sec upload traffic is a virus or trojan or spyware or adware. So NONE of the tools you mentioned using may do any good...since that's all they look for.

Internet Explorer, Media Player, MSN Messenger, Outlook, and various other Microsoft programs can for various reasons eat up bandwidth + cpu cycles without user input. And when they're in a half-crashed state, they might do so repeatedly for no real reason.

That's what HijackThis!, TCP View, and Process Viewer are for...

They are not part of windows, the last 2 come from www.sysinternals.com

HijackThis! can be found here:

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

http://www.merijn.org/index.html

K i'll look up Hijackthis.

As of now, I have 1 download going, nothing seeding. Just 1 file. It's doing it again. DHT disabled also, no other programs running. No other computers are powered on. Perhaps trial and error with another BT client? Let's hope.

Ok, just tried on BitComet and Azereus. Both new fresh installs. Same thing. Even with 1 download going with 12k global max upload, it's maxing out my upload to 35k and slowing down my network. Loading webpages is even slow sometimes.

Archived