How do I uninstall Bittorent Toolbar?

Geff

I was doing something at the time when I got the prompt saying that I should update Bittorent and I must not have been paying attention because along with the update it installed this hellish bittorrent toolbar and it is completely discombobulating my browser workspace. I have spent the better part of the last hour trying to get rid of this thing. There is no uninstall in add/remove toolbars, I have downloaded multiple remover software, none of which detected the toolbar. I even uninstalled bittorent and it still wouldn't go away. Finally, very pissed off, I decided to make a forum account here and post this thread.

I'm desperate, what do I do.

I think I was finally able to do it. It came with whatever recent bittorent version I was prompted to get. But, it was a tricky little bugger.

From firefox it is called "Bittorent community toolbar" but the homepage it set was called search.conduit.com. A google search revealed that it is some sort of malware program. I searched all items on my computer with the name conduit in it and manually deleted them all. The god forsaken thing is finally gone I think.

Hurray for me :)

I had this exactly same problem (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=88978). After trying to remove it by uninstalling "bittorrent toolbar" from control panel / add or remove programs, and in the end uninstalling bittorrent itself, I finally solved it by entering tools/add-ons on my firefox browser and removing it from there.

then i reinstalled bittorrent and i unchecked all boxes when it asked me about toolbar. now there doesn't seem to be any problem.

I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled the utorrent browser toolbar only it's still here.

I restarted my browser, I restarted my computer it won't go away. I even tried to uninstall utorrent but it was still there.

Please somebody help me get rid of this hideous thing!

k, I figured it out. I had to uninstall and reinstall my browser to finally get rid of it.

I know from skimming through your board that this has already been discussed to death but I just want to say: the third check box on the install of utorrent it says something like "I accept the licence agreement and want to install the super lame toolbar"

this wording is totally unclear and should be changed.

I might have really liked this bittorrent client but because of the frustration I had to go through with this stupid toolbar I will be sticking with bit tornado. Sure it's a little bit more work but at least they have never tried to sneak in any extra software.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The u-torrent toolbar was definitely uncool, but I found a way to deactivate it and I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. Find the wrench icon at the right hand corner. Right click on it and it should give you an option to uncheck a tickbox. This is coming to y'all all the way from New Zealand...... KiaOra Koutou :)

• 4 weeks later...
It's not malware, it's just a browser toolbar. You can remove it by removing the bittorrent browserbar, though I think you still need to uninstall the Firefox one by hand from Tools -> Add-ons.

Maybe not malware, but we have test installed utorrent on several machines now and the ask bar is installed and homepage changed on any installed browsers even when all the boxes are unchecked. We were able to remove the bar through add/remove programs as advised here, however home pages had to be reset manually.

We have been contracted to write an article regarding this kind of practice by a number of firms. We are currently engaged in an investigation of the practice. Any user or IT professional--or anyone else wishing to weigh in--reading this post on or before January 31st, 2012 may contact me at curvycom@hotmail.com

on any installed browsers even when all the boxes are unchecked.

Since it never happened to me (if I install uTorrent correctly) - I can only assume you are doing something wrong. I suggest that you post a clip displaying exactly what you do, and the result.

Since it never happened to me (if I install uTorrent correctly) - I can only assume you are doing something wrong. I suggest that you post a clip displaying exactly what you do' date=' and the result.[/quote']

Yep. I'm not even sure he'll read this, but if he's as careless as this in general no one will take him seriously anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Since it never happened to me (if I install uTorrent correctly) - I can only assume you are doing something wrong. I suggest that you post a clip displaying exactly what you do' date=' and the result.[/quote']

Yep. I'm not even sure he'll read this, but if he's as careless as this in general no one will take him seriously anyway.

You two are the people really force me to register to say something. I am from China where you can see lot of malwares, scams llike these. With previous experience, I scaned the software with kaspersky and antivir before I installed. However, it happened during the installation. I am sure I did not check any box for the toolbar at any step. But at the end of the installation, kaspersky reported malware activity. And I ended up with this ugly toolbar. Unstall it from control panel, it was still there. Delete install folder, it was still there. Delete it from firefox, addon, finally gone. I am OK with software buddled with uglywares, but please let people choose. Do not scam. I can accept software really unique, which I can not have alternative choice, bunddled even with malwares. But please, utorrenter, do things in a right way.

You two are the people really force me to register to say something. I am from China where you can see lot of malwares, scams llike these. With previous experience, I scaned the software with kaspersky and antivir before I installed. However, it happened during the installation. I am sure I did not check any box for the toolbar at any step. But at the end of the installation, kaspersky reported malware activity. And I ended up with this ugly toolbar. Unstall it from control panel, it was still there. Delete install folder, it was still there. Delete it from firefox, addon, finally gone. I am OK with software buddled with uglywares, but please let people choose. Do not scam. I can accept software really unique, which I can not have alternative choice, bunddled even with malwares. But please, utorrenter, do things in a right way.

OK, you two win. I checked the box containning words "agree to install utorrent" which careflly hidden at the end of the policy agreement item. Holly utorrent : )

I'm so excited...I found the "uninstall"...it's a little orange disk between the tools icon and the omnibar on google chrome...I may still have to go into firefox, but at least I found something that said "uninstall" and the word "conduit"...so that part was right too.

• 2 months later...
Guest dmonhnt

It appears the Utorrent bar is exploiting the way Chrome handles extensions. Honestly, it is behaving like malware. I was pretty ticked off and determined, so I did my best to trace back exactly how it does so. It appears that when Utorrent installs it throws javascript files in:

C:\Users\<USER NAME HERE>\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pacgpkgadgmibnhpdidcnfafllnmeomc

These files persist through Chrome re-installs, and are loaded automatically as this is the folder Chrome watches for extension installation. Normally, Chrome itself will download the necessary files to this directory, but Utorrent is exploiting how Chrome manages extensions to install itself without question. What makes matters worse, is it does not follow Chrome's convention for addon installation.. there is no prompt. Furthermore, if you use Chrome's sign-in feature (like I personally do), this addon will follow you from machine to machine, installing itself on every single computer that you use Chrome on. If that's not definition malware, I don't know what is.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to opt out through Utorrent, I imagine if done carefully, this could make for a nice lawsuit...

I've checked to make sure it does not add any registry entries, nor does it start up in any way (checked with autoruns and hijackthis). So, to get rid of this annoyance, you need to manually go to the path above, and delete all of the files in the extensions folder for the toolbar. This will delete the javascript files that install the toolbar. Beware that the folder name could be dynamic, so instead, search the extensions folder for "634583052885979538.png" which should come up as the uTorrent logo.. that way you will know which is the correct folder to delete... I would uninstall the extension through Chrome's extension manager first, then delete the folder (for me the folder was "pacgpkgadgmibnhpdidcnfafllnmeomc"). Also note that Chrome can't be running or the files will be in use.

Archived