How to change download destination of partly downloaded torrents

Mediator

Hi I am a new member of utorrent and this is my first post.

My original drive was too small for some downloads I was partially through and so I want to move it all (including partially downloaded files) to a new, larger drive. I have copied the partially downloaded files to the new drive and have changed the destination for `new`downloads but this doesn`t seem to help with any already in the queue (with 0% downloaded) or those which are partially downloaded.

How do I do this - there doesn`t seem to be a way of changing the destination of existing downloads even once I`ve transfered the files to the new drive.

Or is there some way to change the root letter of the drive so that utorrent thinks the new drive is the old drive.

And while I`m asking, does anyone know how to switch my keyboard back so that, for instance, instead of ``É`` I get a question mark - my toddler pressed keys and I can``t figure out how to fix it.

Changing the folder path in Preferences > Directories is not retroactive for the old torrent jobs.

You need to stop the torrent jobs, right click then 'Advanced > Set Download Location' and select the new containing folder where you moved the partial files. Force a recheck if necessary.

Changing the folder path in Preferences > Directories is not retroactive for the old torrent jobs.

You need to stop the torrent jobs, right click then 'Advanced > Set Download Location' and select the new containing folder where you moved the partial files. Force a recheck if necessary.

Thanks. I did everything you advised but when I did the force recheck (as the % downloaded column wasn`t reflecting the content I`d already downloaded) lots of downloads still said 0% when they should be higher. In some cases much higher.

Why wouldn`t the copied files be recognised during a force recheck

Are you sure you selected the correct containing folder?

If the global download storage folder is C:\Users\Downloads, you have to select the folder:

*C:\Users\Downloads for a single torrent job

*C:\Users\Downloads\Torrent_folder for a multifiles torrent job (\Torrent_folder being the directory created by the torrent)

Are they multifiles torrents? Did you skip some files?

If the global download storage folder is C:\Users\Downloads, you have to select the folder:

*C:\Users\Downloads\Torrent_folder for a multifiles torrent job (\Torrent_folder being the directory created by the torrent)

Yes, I did indeed. I didn`t realise they needed to be saved to their subfolders as I assumed that this would be done automatically (as they have identical names to the relevant subfolder). I now have most of them working. Thanks very much for helping!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Moogly!! I've ran into this problem a number of times in the past and hadn't realized how easy it was to fix (multi file torrents).

Great, I was puzzling over this too. One question though:

When I initially changed all the directories including .torrents directories and then deleted those directories on the old drive uTorrent wouldn't download because it still thought the .torrent file was on the old drive. When I recreated the directories on old drive where the active and finished .torrent files were kept initially and copied them over uTorrent could open them. Now I have moved location of the downloading files through the right click Advanced menu can I safely delete the initial folders or will uTorrent still be wanting to open the .torrent files from the old location?

You can move the .torrent storage directories in Preferences > Directories.

Moving the downloads doesn't move the related .torrents, you have to do it and change the path in µT's preferences.

But last time I did that uTorrent kept trying to open it from original directory not new directory. What I am asking is that not I've set download directory via right click Advanced menu (I had initially changed directory paths in preferences and move the .torrent file) will uTorrent recognise the new path of the .torrent file or continue to try to open and read it from old path as it did before the right click Advanced path change?

Archived