MSN/YM messenger used for µtorrent infos ?

h0rnytoad1

you know, the one thing i would like to see, is to be able to see some kind of info like dl and ul speeds or amount of files done, but get this: in msn or ym messenger ! or some kind of messenger maybe specifically made for stats.

yeah , i always have either of those online, it helps to see if the puter is online or not, plus, it could go in the message line in the contact list.

We'd just need to create another msn/ym account specially for this (unless you want all your contacts to see your infos), use the poligamy patch on msn, and voila, add your mobile or laptop or work msn adress to this p2p one, and you'll see real time without having to start the browser and log in blabla, to see these infos.

just a sneak peek at the infos.

is that doable ?

• 2 weeks later...

So instead of starting up the browser and logging in, (which takes all of two seconds, especially if you save the password) then you have to start MSN a second time and log in to another account? I don't see the advantages in this.

there's a web interface, a cellphone interface in the works. why not a im interface? its another way of staying in touch with your info.

think about it, you're at work, you already have msn activated, you add your µ contact to this one then you just look at the contact list and you see your µ stats at home there. the msn at home can have anyone on it, just block them from seeing this info.

understand ?

Because an IM interface would require that you're on your computer or your cell phone. Which would make it entirely redundant in either case, whether you're using mobile IM or IM on your computer, since you can use WebUI on either one (when they both get completed, that is).

In any case, ludde's not the one creating the WebUI, he's just making the backend for it. Meaning someone will have to write some other script or program that will interface between the two applications (IM and µTorrent). Meaning they can probably follow exeldro's suggestion and make some VB application that does this. Case-in-point: DigitalFx created a VB application without any input from ludde for backend work.

there's a web interface, a cellphone interface in the works. why not a im interface? its another way of staying in touch with your info.

think about it, you're at work, you already have msn activated, you add your µ contact to this one then you just look at the contact list and you see your µ stats at home there. the msn at home can have anyone on it, just block them from seeing this info.

understand ?

I understand but like I said, I don't see the advantages in it. It won't provide anything that the webUI doesn't provide, plus it would be more hassle to start up, which was your original "point" for using it rather than the webUI.

i dont understand how you need to be on your p2p computer for your im to work. especially if you use Window's quickswitch feature to lock your puter while away and/or allow others to use the puter while you keep your p2p apps running.

>Because an IM interface would require that you're on your computer or your cell phone

obviously its no use on the same puter that µ is running. and it would be your im, not you sitting at the keyboard.

are you on your p2p puter (at home or in the closet or wherever it is) when you use the web interface? kinda redundant isn't it ?

obviously u check it from another puter. but what do you do ? you have to get a dyndns account in order to have a standard http url to get into your puter from outside.

then you have to remember that complete url, and of course the all important web port in µ.

or you could just try the ip adress, but then again, with a dymanic ip, its just a shot in the dark.

its easy to bypass all those things with this im idea. without everything on the webui. just the important stats. plus it allows you to know if and when your net connexion is out or if your puter reboots , basically whenever msn or ym logs back in you get told its back up and running.

it could also log back in whenever a file is done dl/ul, just to have the toast window appear with the title of your torrent in the new tagline to notify you.

>plus it would be more hassle to start up

what hassle? if you dont want to use im then just dont. i use them on my desktop and laptop, so i'd like that feature so i can see from my laptop if the desktop is online and working.

anyway, i leave my old desktop on 24/7, i have ym and msn so ppl can reach me. and when im not home, its still online and reachable, i just get to the messages when i get home or they can reach me on the laptop.

if i want to check on my stats from outside the house or get a quick glance on how its doing, other than web ui that would be a new innovative way of doing things.

its alot simpler than having to set up a dyndns account and you have to remember your full http adress with port (who does remember their own ip ?) and you can check from the webmessengers (ym/msn have that)

i do belive most p2p users do that aswell, leave the puter on for days at a time while they get or send their stuff.

why not think outside the box a bit , well outside the house ;)

As for cellphone, i dont have one, dont want one, its too much hassle to use and figure out the right phone plan not to overpay for stuff u dont need. im sure im not alone.

it simple, the im's are online on the p2p machine, its free to use, why not use them ? no other p2p program uses them yet except for some variant of emule, but why not stand a part from the group and make that info avail in im's?

As for web interface, would'nt that require that the company/school/wtvr allows me to go through their firewall to get to my machine?

they might just allow standard (pop, web, im) ports, nothing else.

>DigitalFx created a VB application

cool, if msgplus intergrates it in its code, everyone's happy.

obviously its no use on the same puter that µ is running. and it would be your im, not you sitting at the keyboard.

are you on your p2p puter (at home or in the closet or wherever it is) when you use the web interface? kinda redundant isn't it ?

Well obviously...

you have to get a dyndns account in order to have a standard http url to get into your puter from outside.

then you have to remember that complete url, and of course the all important web port in µ.

or you could just try the ip adress, but then again, with a dymanic ip, its just a shot in the dark.

And this is only a one-time setup, which makes it no different from signing up for a new account on your IM service. If you have trouble remembering the URL, it's not that difficult to save the dyndns link with the port and whatnot as a browser favorite, or email it to yourself, or whatever. Guess what instant messengers are? They're a front for sending messages from IPs to IP as well, you just don't see it because you already did the setup to make it easier for you -- signing up for the service. So it's the same. I'm not seeing the argument here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember that Yahoo messenger would be compatible with Windows Live Messenger!!! accounts... I mean, that the people would have the possibility to use Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live Messenger for their accounts...

So, I think that all what you have to do is to make this possible for WLM only ^^...

• 4 months later...

Starting today, you can show in your MSN and Yahoo! Messenger (and also Google Talk or Skype) status everything about your torrents using HyperIM: http://numedecod.ro/HyperIM

Some more info about the uTorrent stats: http://numedecod.ro/HyperIM/forum/index.php?topic=338.0

It uses uTorrent's HTTP responses which are also used by the webUI, but you won't need a browser, as the HyperIM plugin for uTorrent acts as the client. You can show your ratio, speeds, progress etc (there are 10 details for each of the first three torrents returned by uTorrent)

If you need help making it work feel free to reply here.

Well I don't know about mIRC as I rarely ever used in the last 2-3 years, I just had a solution for the author of this thread of showing in your YM/MSN status some uTorrent stats. And not necessarily only in your status, as HyperIM can use those uTorrent macros inside Y!M auto-replies, or sending the infos to a webscript...

Currently I am testing some big improvements to this plugin, mainly retrieving only specific torrents (using their hash string), and subgrouping the torrent details so that it can show much more available torrents.

Archived