New UI: Elaborate Ploy to Increase Forum Userbase?

fakeplastictrees

It's pretty clear that everyone hates the new UI. Hates it. Before I came to uTorrent, I was an Azureus user. I liked it because it had a sleek and lightweight interface. One day I loaded up a torrent and Azureus updated to Vuze. It was a bogged down piece of shit, and I began looking for a new client immediately.

I've been using uTorrent for years and never looked back. Your interface offered exactly what I wanted out of a client: it's minimal and very functional. I'm not going to jump ship because of one update I feel is bad, but please do not move in the direction I'm worried you are. We don't want bells and whistles added to this client, the very reason we like it is their exclusion.

I know the developers put a lot of work into the 2.2 interface, but please consider listening to the overwhelming majority and rolling back to the old UI as a default. On the plus side, you probably gained a couple thousand more forums users so we could get our 2 cents in about this!

I don't get why so many people seem to believe this theory. Padding the forum user count does nothing for anyone. From where else are people projecting this motive on forum.utorrent.com?

As for bells and whistles... The only new thing in the UI I can think of that fits that description would be the apps, and that's not even in-your-face, and can also be hidden.

Heh, several users have mentioned it in at least one of the other two major complaint threads (UI and toolbar). I've seen it mentioned elsewhere outside the forum too. Anyhow, it makes me wonder why so many people think this way...

Edit: "Any press is good press"? Doesn't really make sense if µTorrent earns revenue for BitTorrent Inc. only if users install the toolbar (not if more users visit the advertisement-free site). And the new skin/toolbar debacles are clearly supposed to be turning users off. Then again, I'm no marketing/psychology major.

It could be a ploy to get users to try the Apps feature. The old skin is most easily accessed through the Skins app. :-)

But I am not a conspiracy theorist.

Any change to the UI always has its detractors -- even changes for the better. In this case, there were more detractors than usual. But I don't think there's anything to be read into it.

lol that's actually an interesting take that doesn't seem all that implausible.

NOTE: I'm not a BitTorrent Inc. employee, so don't read into anything I say as being some official company stance.

At any rate, I agree that there probably isn't anything to be read into it. People always resist change, and come up with wild accusations to explain what they think to be unexplainable, when the explanation is often as simple as "UI refresh". Whether that explanation is enough justification for the change is a different debate.

I even posted the btskin on the forums so you don't have to use the Skins app. :P

Yes, yes you did. That was good!

It's UI refresh to try to get some more consistency with icon design. I may not like it very much, but it is at least a consistent design throughout the app.

Heh... yeah, I guess ... if nothing else, it is consistent...

Consistently what... we won't say. ;-)

Archived