How do I move an incomplete download to another computer?

nobot

What steps are necessary to resume downloading a torrent after an OS reinstall? Or: How do I move an incomplete download to another computer?

I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 on a new hard drive, but still have the old hard drive (with Vista installed) attached to the system as a secondary drive. The secondary drive has the incomplete downloads, the µTorrent installation in Program Files, and the torrents associated with these downloads. I can probably figure this out, but hope someone with more experience can give me some quick, effective how-to steps I can take to accomplish this.

I realize I could boot from the old drive and resume downloading the files, but a couple of the torrents have over 100 files, some of them are complete, some are partially downloaded. The files are not really very popular, so the download rate is extremely slow - I have been downloading some these collections for a month or so, and it would be a huge waste of time to re-download everything.

A related question: Is there a simple way (for example, in a multi-episode download of an entire season of a TV show) to tell which files are completely downloaded, since as soon as a file starts to download, it occupies the same amount of space as the completed file? Maybe I should instead ask: Where does µTorrent keep track of the completion state of each download?

The torrent history is saved in resume.dat stored in %appdata%\utorrent.

A quick solution is to move the partial files (if you want to store on your new HD of course) then the folder %appdata%\utorrent to the new HD. Then you edit resume.dat with http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 by using the function 'find/replace' to change the path or drive letter if something changed.

Then you start uT, it should resume your torrents.

Archived