Unable to load "*": Invalid torrent file! <--> Torrent Piece Size

Codster

I ran into a torrent online which uTorrent would not load. I ended up trying other torrent clients and found that it worked fine (moonpolice, etc; basically just uTorrent failed to open the file).

I did a little investigating and found out is was caused by the torrents piece size. A number of torrent creators "MakeTorrent, NBTorrentCreator, MoonPolice, etc" support many piece sizes (16MB/32MB/64MB/etc), however, uTorrent isn't opening any torrent I create that is over 16MB piece size.

I hope this is a bug on uTorrents part, and not by design? At the very least uTorrent shouldn't be saying it is an invalid torrent file, especially when it downloads fine using other torrent clients.

I do realize it is weird that people are using 32MB+ piece size, but, I think others are going to start running into it as I have at least run into it once; I'm suprised I couldn't find it online already. Only reasons I could think of about why people are using such high piece size is to meet some trackers .torrent filesize limits, or if the torrent is meant for a LAN network and the overhead for 2MB piece size wants to be avoided.

If this is by design on uTorrents part then at the very least when others start coming in with the same error, and unable to figure out why uTorrent isn't working but everything else is, this bug report should help people understand the problem.

Thanks, hope it is easy fix on uTorrents part ;).

Hehe 1TB isn't that much now-a-days. Sure ten years ago it might of seemed like a lot, but, twenty years ago 5MB was ginormous...

100-300GB torrents are pretty common right now. The 32MB piece torrent I was trying to download was only 600GB.

It is up to you, but, I don't really understand going out of your way to make torrents that are already out there not work. Even if you don't do it soon, I'm pretty sure in 5 years it'll be done one way or another ;).

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'd just like to let you know that we've implemented this functionality in 3.0. Next build should have it. I'll post again when we have a build up.

It will now load torrents with up to a 32MB piece size, allow the creation of torrents with up to a 16MB piece size, and allow up to INT_MAX pieces (a lot). We tested with a 230k piece torrent and it loaded fine. Larger should work without issues, but let us know if something weird happens.

We've also added some better error messaging for torrents we refuse to load, vs those that are just invalid.

• 5 weeks later...

When is beta 3 available? At any time I have up to a dozen .torrents that won't load, and only occasionally loading a .txt torrent and renaming works...

Others have suggested that the 'faulty' .torrents may have too large a folder tree...

A year or two ago I tried a batch of my 'faulty' .torrents in Az/Vuze but they would not load...

Archived