Moved d/l folder, uTorrent can't find files.

cnidawg

iMac 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo, 5GB RAM, 2TB HD - single partition

Mac OSX 10.6.6

uTorrent v1.0.2

I made the mistake of moving my uTorrent d/l folder

Now uTorrent can not find the files (they are all still in the d/l folder)

Tried preferences>downloads>torrent download folder (my name for folder)

Tried d/l'g another file....it expanded OK & works fine

It d/l'd to the specified folder but will not seed (none of the files in that folder will seed)

Looks like I screwed up the path uTorrent uses to find the files :(

(yes....I am a dummy & ignorant how uTorrent handles file location paths)

Do you think deleting the utorrent application, re-installing it, re-setting up, then moving my d/l'd files into the new utorrent d/l folder will fix the problem?

Or do the files themselves now have added code on their old location that will prevent them from being seen by new uTorrent app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dazed & confused....

CNI Dawg

Another Noobie :(

iMac 2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo, 5GB RAM, 2TB HD - single partition

Mac OSX 10.6.6

uTorrent v1.0.2

Do you think deleting the utorrent application, re-installing it, re-setting up, then moving my d/l'd files into the new utorrent d/l folder will fix the problem?

d/l'd Mac beta uTorrent v1.1.0(23574) & installed

Moved d/l'd files to d/l folder

set v1.1.0 to place new files in same d/l folder

d/l'd new file

v1.1.0 seeds the new file but will not seed the old files

apparently the uTorrent app adds 'path code' to files so they can not be moved

old d/l files still show in uTorrent window but will not seed

wants to re-d/l those old files even tho all the old .rar's are in that file's folder

wish i was smart enough to figure out how to change path code to direct uTorrent to the old d/l files

Here is a potential fix for you problem.

Background

A friend recently upgraded the harddrive in his macbook pro and had the same problem. The status for all the torrents was listed as "Error: Invalid Download State"... The specifics of the problem. Original torrent directory was on an external drive and the location was "~/Volumes/External HD/Torrents/". He made a bootable copy of his internal harddrive on a new internal, then disassembled the laptop and swapped the drives. Everything worked flawlessly and the mac booted up fine, everything looked exactly the same with the new internal drive because it had an exact image of the old one.

The one problem was with uTorrent. Apparently at some time in the past, the external drive's name (acccording to uTorrent) was changed to "External HD 1" (the 1 was added). So now the program wouldn't recognize the actual files, which were in the drive called "External HD".

The Fix

So here how he fixed it... (recommends following step by step)

Before anything, make sure uTorrent is closed. On the main drive, the application support files are located in "~/Users/username/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/". There are a few files that uTorrent writes to for itself, and the rest are copies of torrent files. If you do not have copies of the original torrent files, this trick will not work. You might be able to re-download them from their original sources but we can make no guarantees that it will still work.

1) From the uTorrent app support folder, backup all (9 or 10) ".dat" and ".dat.old" files by copying into a separate folder.

2) In the uTorrent app support folder, delete "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

3) Open uTorrent. All torrents will be gone from the window now.

4) On the preferences menu, change the default download location to wherever your uTorrent download folder is currently located.

5) Close uTorrent. If you look in the uTorrent app support folder, there should be a new "resume.dat" and "resume.dat.old".

6) Open uTorrent. Now add the original torrent files back to the program (open torrent.. or drag and drop). Now you can right-click the torrent and select "Force Re-Check". The file should be read back into the system and updated to its proper download status (i.e. Complete).

***WARNING***: This method is based on a one-time experience my friend had while trying to fix his problem as outlined above. We cannot guarantee that this will work and/or will not cause more problems. Use this guide at your own risk and always make sure your data is backed up. If something goes completely awry, then you should be able to restore the "resume.dat" files from the original ones which you have backed up in step 1.

Archived