uTorrent does not honour global upload rate limit within local peers

an0nym

Subj.

If I setup global upload rate limit (for instance 100 KB/s), non-local upload does not exceed that limit much (+-10 KB/s), but local upload speed can be up to network max throughput (10 MB/s).

This slows down computer and network responsiveness.

Is this a bug or feature?

This is you not having your settings set right.

Preferences - bittorrent - Limit Local Peer Bandwidth

After setting this, my download speed (that is not limited) falls from 10 MB/s (nearly network throughput) to 2 MB/s (near to internet speed i pay ISP for). I tried. Upload speed falls as well.

As I understand, this setting affects both local download and upload speed.

I'm thinking of "global" as of "any upload activity (local/non-local) won't exceed this setting +- some KB". uTorrent thinks of "global" as of "non-local upload activity won't exceed this setting +- some KB". I'm trying to understand, whether this is a feature or a bug.

In addition to clarification made above, maybe this info will help someone.

When I turned on limit local peer bandwidth, my download speed fell from 10 MBytes/s (near lan maximum) to 2 MBytes/s (near wan maximum). This was because my global upload rate limit was not enough to bypass all the service traffic needed to download at 10 MBytes/s.

So, if you limit your upload bandwidth, make sure your limit is large enough to bypass service traffic.

Archived