Banned peers?

danshe

I've been at 99% for a few days trying to download a file that supposedly has 9 seeds. Utorrent shows 0 seeds and 20 peers.

I just checked my logger and there are at least 6 different addresses that say banned next to them. I've never seen this before and I'd like to know why addresses would be banned. I'm not aware of having set anything to do this and I wonder if there are the seeds I can't find.

• 9 months later...

I'd just like to add, resetting banned IPs make sense...but not disabling it. Takes too much effort to keep downloading bad blocks and hashing them than it does to just not allow downloading from that peer. Just ban the IP and find someone else with the piece. Of course, it might be sensible to set up auto resetting of banned IPs based on when you baned that individual IP, say 7 days.

Also, most of the WAN side of the internet is DHCP. Only companies require Static IPs so the only people that are most likely to have static IPs using BitTorrent would be trackers, and maybe some dedicated seeds. Then there is DDNS.

I have DHCP and my ISP changes it every 3 days. That is my lease time.

I know with Aliant, a major eastern Canada ISP, I would sometimes get my IP changed about 3 times in 5 minutes. I could tell cause I would be doing web development at the time that I get my IP changed and I allowed the public to view my port 8080, so I would use that instead of my LAN IP. Just a habit I picked up from testing out the apache servers on various OSs.

That's when I was back east. Now I do my web development at work, who have a static IP.

Maybe a feature that could be added?

Archived