INVALID URL reported for dht://... tracker

bently

Because µtorrent doesn't know how to open a "dht://" link but knows how to open a "magnet:?xt=" one. The two links basically contain the very same information, so why couldn't µtorrent handle them the same way?
There's one problem with this thought. You already have a full .torrent file at this point so supporting dht:// is a waste. You are already using DHT to search for peers.

No, I meant when you have such links on the internet, exactly like you can find magnet: links, there is plenty of dht:// links. Supporting dht:// links would be something really appreciated, and it should be easy because it behaves exactly like a magnet: link and µtorrent already support them.

Because µtorrent doesn't know how to open a "dht://" link but knows how to open a "magnet:?xt=" one. The two links basically contain the very same information, so why couldn't µtorrent handle them the same way?

Because they clearly have different intents. Magnet URIs are used for obtaining .torrent file metadata. If your dht:// links are in the tracker list, then obviously, whoever added it meant to use it as a tracker, which would make it absolutely redundant when DHT already tracks torrents globally, and any BitTorrent client that supports DHT will already announce to DHT automatically for any non-private torrent.

If you saw a dht:// link in your tracker list, then you already have the .torrent metadata, so there's no reason to treat the link as a magnet URI. If you don't already have the .torrent metadata, then well... there's already an established and working standard called magnet URIs that whatever-site-you-obtained-the-dht-link-from can just as easily use.

Then most certainly they should be the ones fixing their torrents. Standards are defined so that there doesn't need to be duplication of effort, and Stanford seems to be disregarding that.

The torrent community at large has already standardized on global DHT for tracking non-private torrents, and magnet URIs for obtaining the metainfo. The dht:// URLs don't do better anything that is already satisfied by the existing standards, and to top it off, it's used by next-to-nobody.

the only torrents I have seen these dht:// trackers on came from the Computer Science department at Stanford University for a group of lectures they released.

That would be this then

http://torrentfreak.com/stanford-university-embraces-bittorrent-081018/

Let me quote from that article.

"there is one downside to the torrents Stanford is offering. They do not use regular trackers, but only Vuze's DHT tracker. "

You've spotted a vuze-only feature, that i think is being depreciated anyway.

Archived